pH keeps yo-yo'ing up and down

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
I've been trying to maintain a pH of 7.2-7.5, but it keeps rising and I have been adding 2-3 cups of muriatic acid every other day just to keep it in the range I want. In fact, I got a 7.8 reading today, so I added a good splash of acid.

I do notice my TA started at 100-110 or so, and when I started adding more acid to keep pH in the low end of the range, the TA came down to 70 (over a few weeks). Should I increase TA to keep the pH stable? I'm hesitant to raise TA because if I do, won't that put upward pressure on the pH - something I don't want at the moment?

Why are you trying to keep the PH so low? We recommend keeping PH around 7.5 to 7.8 and towards the high end of that range if possible.

Also, high TA is what is driving your PH up. So if you raise the TA back up the PH will rise even more quickly.

To keep CSI negative and prevent scaling. I already have plaster stains and some of it may be scale, so I'm keeping the pH on the lower half of the range. Am I going about it wrong?

Thought so on the TA. It did come down to 70 though.

Of course the best thing to do is to keep CH low, but obviously that isn't always possible.

If you do need to maintain the PH low, the best thing is to also keep TA low, which will minimize CSI and reduce the rate at which PH rises.

Keeping PH below 7.5 is a project with no end. It never wants to stay there. Plus you will need to keep TA at 60+. TA will tend to want to go down over time, but you don't want it getting too low.

One possibility to consider is an automated acid feed system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.