Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Prepping for New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Prepping for New Pool

Hi, I am so glad I found this site and have been reading for awhile some real valuable information. I am in the process of leveling to put up an Intex style Pro Series Frame Pool listed below. I received my TF-100 test kit today and tested my tap water from the hose. I would love some help on where I should start chemical wise once it is filled. I do plan on using the methods suggested here. My readings providing I did it properly are as follows:

FC 1.0
    CC 1.0
    TC 2.0
    PH 7.2
    TA 70
    CH 100ppm
    CYA 0

Thanks in advance for the help and advice... Andrew
    Last Year: Pro Series Frame AGP 16' x 48" Approx 5,060 Gallons. 1500GPH pump, Cartridge filter in skimmer. TF-100 Test Kit
    Just Built 5/7/15: Doughboy 24' x 54" round above ground pool 16,000 gallons. Astral Pool 22" sand filter, Waterway 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump. TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Prepping for New Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Add 2 ppm of chlorine this evening and each evening until 24 hours after adding CYA. Then switch to adding chlorine to reach your target level based on your CYA level.

Start adding CYA to raise CYA to the 30 to 40 range.

If CC doesn't come down very soon you may need to SLAM the pool, but I suspect it will vanish quickly once you add some chlorine.

PH, TA, and CH levels are all fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi, welcome to TFP! You will need some CYA. You can either buy a container of pool stabilizer (or pool conditioner) and use poolmath (link at the top left of the page) to calculate how much you need, or use dichlor granules to raise CYA and FC and stop using it when your CYA reaches 30 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the replies. How do I figure out how much bleach is 2ppm based on my pool? The calculator seems to give amount to add to reach your goal.
    Last Year: Pro Series Frame AGP 16' x 48" Approx 5,060 Gallons. 1500GPH pump, Cartridge filter in skimmer. TF-100 Test Kit
    Just Built 5/7/15: Doughboy 24' x 54" round above ground pool 16,000 gallons. Astral Pool 22" sand filter, Waterway 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump. TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Drew2672 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. How do I figure out how much bleach is 2ppm based on my pool? The calculator seems to give amount to add to reach your goal.
    Set "now" to zero and "target" to 2
    Make sure the pool size and %bleach are filled in correctly.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Responders,

I am pretty sure the test results are tap water. No pool up just yet.

Assuming that, your tap water is excellent and you will only need to add chlorine and CYA once your pool is up
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for all the responses.
    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Responders,

I am pretty sure the test results are tap water. No pool up just yet.

Assuming that, your tap water is excellent and you will only need to add chlorine and CYA once your pool is up
    You are correct. Thanks. I am hoping to have it up by the weekend if this rain ever stops. Then it's time for the calculator.

I am going to do the CYA in a sock but a question I have is do I add all the amount of bleach it calls for at once, or add a little over a few days?

8. Back To Top    #8

All at once. Initially you should be testing every day until you learn your pools appetite for chemicals. Don't bother testing your CYA until a week after putting it in. It takes a while to be fully dissolved and register on the test.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

9. Back To Top    #9

Add the bleach all at once. You want to keep it in the range based on this chart. http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock. You can test for chlorine every day and put bleach it to get it in range.
    Intex Ultra Frame 26'x52"
    Intex 2,500 gal/hr pump with Unicel cartridge filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you again