Update on new pool dark color vs light increase in temp San Diego

May 3, 2013
Ok, Had my pool refinished from plain white plaster to Tahoe blue exposed aggregate finish. Last year July-August temps were approx 78 degrees at best in the dead of summer. At this time of year it was about 76-78

I used the exact thermometer and not one other thing changed and temps are
81 on same thermometer and 82.6 on new digital one. Pool is noticeably warmer. No it isn't a hot tub but less of that shock when you first get in. I am going to assume maybe a degree or more will be gained when in the middle of summer like last years above temps.

So scientist, calculations, speculation, etc all I can do is report that for whatever reason my pool has seen a nice increase in temps. Figured I would report back for reference. I will update in late July.

I appreciate you having your pool refinished so we could find out the answer. So kind of you! But seriously, that is probably the perfect scenario to evaluate the difference given the consistent temps for that area as i understand them to be.

Anecdotally I am amazed at how my pool will heat up on a sunny day with grey plaster.

Thanks for your observations and i look forward to hearing back in July.

Just had our pool refinished with Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen this year from white plaster. I've noticed a few degree difference than what was typical with the white plaster when our pool cover is open. The PB indicated to us some of the darker finishes would see a 4 degree difference than white plaster in the heat of the summer.

Wasn't San Diego unseasonably hot this spring? The only way to put this one to rest is to have two pools side by side with same dimensions exposed to exactly the same weather conditions.

I too just switched to a Tahoe blue pebble finish from white and I think my pool is a little warmer as well, will be able to tell more by August since my max with white is about 94. I really hope I don't see 98 now...

It makes perfect sense intuitively.

I know when I rent a car in las Vegas, I always go for the white or silver since the dark colors absorb the heat instead of reflecting the sunlight.
Sure, but is getting into a white 130 degree F car that much better than a dark 140 F degree car? :mrgreen:
The actual interior temperature difference is 10 degrees at most ... It is hot getting into either :D

That's pretty interesting.

how are air temps compared to last year?

My brain gave me an estimation of 2-3 degrees difference. Looks like I was a little off, but "good enough for gov't work".

A friend states they lose more water after going to a dark plaster due to evap. I'll be curious what your take on that is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.