Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New house, 1st pool, solar heating questions.

1. Back To Top    #1

New house, 1st pool, solar heating questions.

My wife and I just bought out first home. I have spent the last 2 weeks prepping the pool to be opened for the first time this summer. After getting through an algae bloom, high phosphates, high CYAs and finally balancing everything out (been getting help from Leslie's Pools), I am now wondering how to get the solar heating on for the summer, but not quite sure how the valves and control panel work. The control panel decals are faded also, so it's hard to tell what each know does. I know it says the model of the panel is a Fafco 303. Thank you ahead of time. This is my first post on here, go easy. Lol

Paul

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New house, 1st pool, solar heating questions.

I have pictures of the controller and the pipe configuration, but not sure the best way to post them on here as there seems to be a small size limit on pictures.

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

The best way to post pictures is to use a forum friendly photo hosting service like PhotoBucket.com.

With pictures of the valves/plumbing we should be able to make some helpful comments.

You do know that phosphates don't make any difference if your are maintaining appropriate FC levels?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

7. Back To Top    #7

I am willing to learn anything to help keep things running properly. I've shocked twice since starting and have been trying keep the chlorine at around 2, although the last couple of 100+ degree days in direct sun have used up the chlorine faster.

My phosphates were at 2500+ when we bought the house so I used a bottle of phosfree commercial and brought it down to zero, (4-5 days ago.)

8. Back To Top    #8

Anybody? Do I have this question in the wrong section?

9. Back To Top    #9

Anyone look at those pictures? Help?

10. Back To Top    #10

Just wanted to let you know someone saw what you posted, but from that I really can't tell which line goes where
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for a reply. Yeah, I wish I could post full resolution photos, but Photobucket really took down the size and quality of the pictures. I'm pretty sure I know how the pipes are routed now and how the valves work. I would mainly like to know if anyone has used the Fafco controller I have. Since I can't read the decals, I'm unsure of what the knobs do. I emailed Fafco directly, but they haven't gotten back to me.

12. Back To Top    #12

You may get an answer from them, but given employee turn over in a modern company I suspect no one there has ever even seen something that old
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Hahaha, I hear ya there. Which is why I was hoping someone on here may have used this controller at some point in time. I can't even find a picture of it on the Internet, just to find out what the knobs are. Should I try a new thread with the name and model number instead of something as vague as the title for this thread?

14. Back To Top    #14

The two white (some black paint) valves with red handles turn solar on. They are now shut off. Turn both 90s to turn them on.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

15. Back To Top    #15

Well, I figured out what all the setting are on the controller. Yesterday I tried it out, with a ladder going to the roof to check things out. I have about 10 small leaks in different panels and one large leak in a main pipe. I know how to fix the pipe, but need to figure out how to patch the panels.

16. Back To Top    #16

If you panels are like mine the rubber channels attach into a pipe. Basically, you use an "O" ring and a large (short) sheet metal screw top and bottom to seal off the leaking channel.