Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In-law's pool green. Need advice.

1. Back To Top    #1

In-law's pool green. Need advice.

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. My in-law's pool has turned green and they're having trouble getting it to clear. Please help or my kids' summer is in trouble. Thanks in advance.

17,000 gal plaster pool - sand filter

Hardness 1000
    Total Chlorine 3
    Free Chlorine 20
    pH 8
    Alkalinity 120
    Stabilizer 100

Photo attached.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: In-law's pool green. Need advice.

Welcome to TFP!

Short answer is:
    Order a recommended test kit.
    Read Pool School while waiting for it.
    Replace water to get the CYA to a reasonable level.
    Follow the SLAM process to clear it up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Jason.

I will give it a try.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

That's a pretty shade of green

As long as there aren't a bunch of leaves and branches and dead animals hidden beneath the surface, you can clear that mess in a few days. The problem is the test kit. It's difficult to find a FAS-DPD tester in stock at a store; maybe not where you live though, since it's pool-land. You can make a few calls and see if anyone has a K-2006 in stock; most pool stores will try to sell you a K-2005 DPD tester and tell you it's the same, but it isn't. The Leslie's part number is 81329. If you have to order it and wait anyway, don't bother; the TF100 is a better value. Get the XL option since you're clearing a swamp.

Here's some folks who have done it recently:!

Just do what they did.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Sacramento, CA

Total chlorine = free chlorine + combined chlorine

There is no way your free chlorine can be more than total chlorine. While you are reading through pool school check out the "ABC's" article. Part of the TFP way is understanding what all these parameters really mean and how they affect your pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock ('s a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator