Clorox vs store brand bleach

Feb 24, 2013
Today I went to Target to stock up on bleach and their $2.99 store brand was cleared out. I went for the $3.49 Clorox and I love it. Their bottles are more ergonomic and they have an air flow hold built into the handle. As I slowly dispersed the Clorox and walked around the pool, no bleach splashed back up at me. I've already ruined two pairs if workout pants and a cute top from bleach stains from the liquid splashing. I think the Clorox containers are much more user friendly! Sure it's more expensive but it's worth it if it saves my nike running pants! :)

2w207c7.jpg

Why not pour it directly into the skimmer?
Not as good as pouring it gently in front of a return.

A high concentration of chlorine going directly into the pump and other equipment can be harsh. Once or twice is surely no harm but done over a long period of time can be really tough on seals, gaskets, etc.

Gently in front of a return is the best method of introducing most chemistry (but not all) in any pool.

Not as good as pouring it gently in front of a return.

A high concentration of chlorine going directly into the pump and other equipment can be harsh. Once or twice is surely no harm but done over a long period of time can be really tough on seals, gaskets, etc.

Gently in front of a return is the best method of introducing most chemistry (but not all) in any pool.

X2

Highly concentrated streams of Chlorine, as would be if you poured it into the skimmer is also very hard on Copper heat exchangers in pool heaters.

Most of us have Copper HX, so it's best not to do this. Just pour it slowly in front of a return. It's so easy.

I found the Clorox bottle harder to pour than the generic bottles. I'm pouring slowly, so I don't need a breather hole and the opening is smaller because of it. The only time I've had bleach stains was when a bottle fell out from under the cart at Walmart. I'm still hearing about that one.

I like the Clorox bottle as well. I tried generic (6%) and got tired of having to pour so much more than I was with the 8.25%. Now I've got to get time to call the bulk distributor so I can get some 12.5%

The only bottles I've had a problem with are the actual gallon bottles of austins brand liquid chlorine. They are taller and skinnier than the walmart/target/grocery store brands I usually use. It always drips down the side when I pour.

Mine goes into a measuring cup because I only use about 20 oz a day.
The dripping down the side is a pain. I might just stick with the store brands! Wouldn't spend extra for the clorox though!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.