How to SLAM

May 18, 2014
MD
Hi all, I was wondering how to properly shock or "SLAM" my pool. It is a 18x37 inground vinyl liner pool that I'm estimating around 27400 gallons. I have been putting 3 bags of leslies "chlor brite" (http://www.lesliespool.com/leslies-...-multipack-bags/chlor-brite-granular-bags.htm) to shock it and I was wondering if this is more than necessary or too little or even the right thing to use. If it is based off of the target FC level for shocking that I want, then how soon after putting it in do I take the sample to compare it to the target number? I'm having an issue keeping my target FC level because my CYa is around 20-25 and is in direct sunlight all day and I only have a floater with 3" pucks in it until I can install an automatic chlorinator. Any advice would be great, thanks for looking.

Have you read the SLAM article in the How To section of Pool School? Pretty much explains it.

We also generally do not recommend the use of chlorine powders and tablets.

Ah I see, thanks. I poked around some and didn't see any sections, I'll check there. And I'm starting to see that the tabs and powder was not a good choice, didn't learn it until after the fact though and now I have a bucket full of tabs lol :/ but thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.