Help with low return water pressure

Jul 11, 2013
Amarillo, TX
I have a 21" sand filter, 3/4 hp motor that I got used last year. I have another post in this forum trying to identify it. Anyhoo, for the last few days the water pressure on the return line has seemed quite weak. I would think it was a clog, but I have checked everywhere except in the sand itself and have found nothing. The pressure also does not seem high enough for a clog, only about 7psi. The odd thing is, I have great pressure when backwashing or dumping to waste, which leads me to believe the problem is after the pump. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a problem after the filter, then the pressure would read high and you would have low flow.

What does the water look like? When did you last backwash? Any valves in the wrong position?

The water is pretty bad, just getting warm enough to get out and open up here, so I am still SLAMing. I backwashed just today, left it running longer than normal just to make sure everything was out.
I am pretty positive that nothing is connected wrong or any valves are wrong as I have spent the last 2 days going through every line one by one looking for a clog.

The water pressure from the return is about the same after backwashing, slight drop in psi on gauge after, maybe 1psi. I will try backwashing again and if that does not work I will do the deep clean in the sticky. Thank you so much for your help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.