Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What do I adjust first? TA or CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

What do I adjust first? TA or CYA?

I did the sock method for CYA yesterday...and apparently I didn't use enough, i'm only register about 40 for CYA

FC 1
    PH 7
    TA 110
    CYA 40

I have a SWG but have not purchased the salt yet....so i'm running on bleacch until i can get my hands on salt. I think i made my TA too high! My CYA needs to be higher...and my FC is definitely too low....i'm going to get the right amount of bleach in right now in fact, its 8pm where I am.
    Intex 16'x48" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater Filtration System
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What do I adjust first? TA or CYA?

Worry about TA when you are bored with everything else being perfect.

You can not test the CYA until a week after it has dissolved, so I would not add any more.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The CYA won't show up on the test 100% for a few days after dissolving. Your pH is a bit low, so just aerate to get the pH up between 7.2 and 7.8. A bunch of kids splashing counts. Worry about TA later. It will come down each time you add acid anyway.

The low FC is more alarming than anything else.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

So my TA Is ok where it is? its not too high for now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The CYA won't show up on the test 100% for a few days after dissolving. Your pH is a bit low, so just aerate to get the pH up between 7.2 and 7.8. A bunch of kids splashing counts. Worry about TA later. It will come down each time you add acid anyway.

The low FC is more alarming than anything else.
    Thanks gang, i still owe you some pics to prove my levelness this year
    Taylor K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA may not register on the test for a week. Assume that CYA is at the level you targeted and dose bleach based on that. After a week, retest CYA and adjust. It is always better to add less than your ultimate goal since the only way to reduce CYA is by draining and replacing water.

TA is high; especially for SWG where pH will rise due to aeration in the cell. What did you add that you think raised your TA? Did you add baking soda? CYA does not raise TA. You can either bring TA down now, or resign yourself to frequent additions of muriatic acid for pH, which will slowly bring TA into check.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I managed to find liquid CYA the other day, I'm so excited... I can't have stuff floating in the pool as my youngest son is autistic and his compulsion is to throw everything out of the pool, so the liquid, while expensive, is a bonus for me...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

7. Back To Top    #7

Shocking. Richard320 and jblizzle beat me to the punch.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

the water is fresh from my well....so i added *i think* it was about 5 cups of baking soda, as per the pool calc's directions. I also added borax to bring pH up
    Taylor K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Add your salt now, you can't do anything about TA until Ph comes up. Point your outlet up toward the surface to help aerate the water to raise Ph. Dose with bleach daily to keep your FC in line with your current CYA level. After your salt has dissolved and you are ready to start the SWG, raise the CYA to SWG level and start dialing in the swg to maintain the proper levels. Dose with bleach as needed until you get your swg run times dialed in to maintain FC between the recommended levels. Once your SWG is running fine, then focus on TA, running the swg will increase Ph, so you will need to bring it down with acid periodically which will reduce TA in the process.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter