Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: treat ph or ta first

1. Back To Top    #1

treat ph or ta first

opened pool yesterday ph above 8.2. Lowered it to 8.0. Midday added muriatic acid approx 15 oz. tested a little later it was down to the yellow range. So i added 152 oz borax. An hour later the ph is back up to 8.2.
    Measured TA at 50. Should i address TA now with baking soda before getting back to regulating ph.

Ph 8.2
    TA 50
    CYA 0 (will slowly add in sock, rainy the next few days)

Thanks
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl
    5) Hayward pro-grid 2420, 1 hp, 96 gpm

Also have Dolphin diagnostic 2001

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: treat ph or ta first

I assume your 15oz of MA is a typo because that would do very little to a 22k gallon pool.
    Are you using PoolMath to calculate dosages? Do you have your NOW pH and TA values entered?

Really does not matter, I would lower the pH and then raise the TA a little.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp of what's going on.

Double check your pool volume, and also pay attention to what the Baking Soda does to TA. If you're constantly overshooting, your pool may not be as big as the builder claims. So lower the volume 500 or a thousand gallons and pay attention whether you over or undershoot on things. Eventually, maybe in a month or two, you'll have fine-tuned the volume within a hundred gallons. and by then, everything will be so smooth anyway it will just make things almost no chore at all.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've been using bbb for 3 years now. Excellent instructions clear and concise made for smooth pool seasons. Thank you

Gallons in pool determined by Jason lion. This Is my first season with such challenging numbers. The test results are current. Now that i know the process I'm anxious to get the ph in check so i can begin shocking. How quick to test after adding acid.
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

5. Back To Top    #5

You can test after 30 minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

added 30 oz muriatic acid 1.5 hrs ago. ph is now 8.2, only slightly lighter shade of pink. i used the pool calculator to get from 8.2 to 7.6.

I'm at a loss. do you think that my reagents are old? I did not buy them this year.

I'll go out tomorrow and get a fresh phenol red.
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

7. Back To Top    #7

If the PH reagent is from last year and was stored in a dark cool (but not freezing) place most of the time it should still be fine. If it is older than that, it could well be going bad.

On the other hand, there is nothing in what you wrote that really makes me think the PH reagent is bad. You said "So i added 152 oz borax", which would have raised the PH quite a bit. If you actually added that much borax everything more or less makes sense. You need to continue adding acid until you get the PH down to something reasonable.

In general, try going a bit more gently on the chemical additions that change PH. Make changes in slightly smaller steps, wait, retest, and continue adjusting from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

great, i won't run out to walmart now,

I'll add another 30 oz muriatic acid now
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

I added 30 oz muriatic acid, tested the water 40 min later
    one water sample was near the return where I had added the acid and the ph tested yellow below 6.8. I took two more samples from other areas in the pool adn the ph tested 8.2.
    what do you suggest? wait till tomorrow and get some new phenol red or add more acid?
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you have the pump running? Did you allow 30 minutes for the acid addition to mix in to the rest of the pool water before testing?

Always run the pump during and for at least 30 minutes after adding acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

the pump is running 24/7
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

12. Back To Top    #12

Is there water moving? Something is not right.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

The water is moving. Pump is running fine. Bought fresh phenol red this morn and tested at 8.2. Added another 32 oz muriatic acid only able to check this afternoon.
    Any ideas?
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

14. Back To Top    #14

Are you using full-strength 31.45% muriatic acid, or the "safer" stuff that is much lower concentration?
    21K gallon, plaster, 1hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Hayward 244s sand filter, 3/4 hp Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

full strength 31.45%. i'm adding another 17 oz now will check again in 30 min
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Might brush the pool as it sounds like you're not getting good water circulation with that wide a pH range after 30+ mins. You shouldn't get anywhere near that wide a range in one pool after 30+ mins of adding MA. Do you feel water flowing from the returns? See water in the pump? something is up. How's filter pressure?
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

17. Back To Top    #17

What's your FC?
    25000 gal in ground plaster. '79 vintage. Cartridge filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

THANK G-D, ph tested at 7.8!!!!
    what do you suggest to do next
    lower ph to 7.2?? and then add baking soda to raise the TA from 50 to 100 or should i leave the TA alone and address it after I'm done shocking
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

19. Back To Top    #19

Given the trouble you've had, I'd say get busy with Shock Level and Maintain and deal with the rest later. You want to be swimming this weekend, right?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

20. Back To Top    #20

yes!!! will begin shocking once my ph is 7.2-7.4 (since rainy, aerating rain drops)

Thanks so much for your support
    1) 22,000 gallons
    2) DE filter
    3) IG
    4) vinyl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast