Deswamping a pool after 4 yrs of neglect

trowe

Jun 9, 2014
Westminster md
I am attempting to deswamp a 16x36 vinyl IG pool that has been neglected for 4 years after not being closed... Sounds like fun right ...

We have gotten the debris out and now just battling algae( as far as I can tell) I'm finding that I need to backwash my filter at least daily if not more...

Reading on here people are talking about back washing DE filters 1 time per season...

Is it normal to have so much back washing during the deswamping process?

Thanks all

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

DE filters are very efficient, honestly I am surprised you can go a whole day ... I would expect needing to clean it every few hours if it is truly a swamp.

BTW, we recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure, which could be much more often than you are used to. Also be sure to ALWAYS add DE after a backwash. When was the last time your broke the filter down for a good cleaning? Do you have a recirculate feature? That can be useful so you can keep circulating the chlorine at night or when you are away.

You are following the SLAM Process using one of the Recommended Test Kits correct?

Some other reading:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Welcome :wave:

In answer to your question: yes. Backwashing every hour or two is common when clearing a swamp with a DE filter.

The good news is, once you DO get the pool clear and sparkling, you will probably be able to finish the season without having to do it again.

Will be starting to really dial in the battle starting next week when I have enough time to do it right... So far we have shocked several times to clear water enough to scoop large debris out and seem to making some headwAy... The filter started with a working pressure yesterday of around 5 and rose to about 15 over the course of the afternoon. The filter was apart for a good clean out yesterday before we began to run it.

I feel like most of what we have done at this point has been holding action to not have things get worse until we can really get started on the battle ...

Ok so lookin for some advice... Finally have to battle the swamp... Have shocked it two days in a row and brushed... Water has gone from dark green and cloudy to a blue gray and cloudy... Ph is very acidic( cheap test won't even register )... Should I add baking soda to bring water to neutral before shocking again? If so, what's th set way to add it ?

Thanks all

Ok so lookin for some advice... Finally have to battle the swamp... Have shocked it two days in a row and brushed... Water has gone from dark green and cloudy to a blue gray and cloudy... Ph is very acidic( cheap test won't even register )... Should I add baking soda to bring water to neutral before shocking again? If so, what's th set way to add it ?

Thanks all
During the Shock Level And Maintain process, you ignore everything but FC & CC. Without the right test kit, it's going to be difficult if not impossible to clear the mess in a timely manner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.