Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward CL100 Automatic Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward CL100 Automatic Chlorinator

I'm looking at this for the first time. It holds 9 lbs of Trichlor tabs!!! I'm used to adding the tabs to my skimmer basket. What's the difference??? Can I save on tablets by using this device? Is it just a convenience device.
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward CL100 Automatic Chlorinator

Putting tablets in the skimmer is not recommended unless you run the pump 24/7. They are very acidic and could damage the skimmer and equipment. The chlorinators allow you to dial in the output, you would not use any more/less to maintain the same FC level.

Of course you realize that we RARELY recommend the use of trichlor tablets due to the side-effects of rising stabilizer levels and lowering of pH and TA. See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Putting tablets in the skimmer is not recommended unless you run the pump 24/7. They are very acidic and could damage the skimmer and equipment. The chlorinators allow you to dial in the output, you would not use any more/less to maintain the same FC level.

Of course you realize that we RARELY recommend the use of trichlor tablets due to the side-effects of rising stabilizer levels and lowering of pH and TA. See: How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Thanks, yes I started here and know about the BBB method. It's just easier to use the tabs. I used them one year and it was easier and more convenient. I usually use liquid bleach and the pool calculator.

4. Back To Top    #4

We see so often that people use the pucks for a year and 2 and suddenly start to have problems ... because they do not realize that the CYA is climbing. If they work for you and you are testing your chemistry, that it great.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

We see so often that people use the pucks for a year and 2 and suddenly start to have problems ... because they do not realize that the CYA is climbing. If they work for you and you are testing your chemistry, that it great.
    My CYA levels reset each year!!! I don't know why, but one year I overdid the CYA. Instead of changing out the water I let it go for the entire year, adding more chlorine!!! By next year my cya level was almost 0. I have a 24' x 4' deep above ground pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

We saw a LOT of that this year, where the CYA was converted to ammonia and requiring a long initial SLAM to eliminate it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

We saw a LOT of that this year, where the CYA was converted to ammonia and requiring a long initial SLAM to eliminate it.
    Yeah, I learned this from a article....

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ric-Acid-(CYA)

What is SLAM? You mean lot so CL?

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

if you gonna use Hayword cl100 chlorinator I can attest that it does work great being able to set the desired chlorination level is great, my pool uses much less chlorine because I keep it covered unless we're swimming, so for me being able to set it to a minimal level and maintain it at that level is pretty important.
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump