Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool not floating?

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground pool not floating?

His is hard to explain. But the above ground pool we have is a triangle. And the only inflated part is the ring at the top. We inflated that with air. And your supposed to be able to put your water hose in the pool and let it fill up with water. And the water is supposed to make the pool rise and be normal shape. But it fills with water and doesn't rise like it's supposed to.

Does anybody kknow why it isn't?

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Above ground pool not floating?

Hi there, is the ground the pool is sitting on level? Welcome to TFP....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    Hi there, is the ground the pool is sitting on level? Welcome to TFP....
    Yes the ground is level. They think that the hose doesn't have enough pressure. Would that be a factor?

4. Back To Top    #4

if you could post a pic of the pool, it might help understand what might be going on..
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoultzy View Post
    His is hard to explain. But the above ground pool we have is a triangle. And the only inflated part is the ring at the top. We inflated that with air. And your supposed to be able to put your water hose in the pool and let it fill up with water. And the water is supposed to make the pool rise and be normal shape. But it fills with water and doesn't rise like it's supposed to.

Does anybody kknow why it isn't?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    if you could post a pic of the pool, it might help understand what might be going on..
    http://imgur.com/DE2AF8v
    We haven't touched it in a couple of days and we took the water out. But the directions say after inflating the pool you can just fill it with water and it will shape itself.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Is it able to hold water? Or is it leaking out everywhere? Or is it filling and its out of shape when its full?
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you tried getting in and holding the inflated ring up so the water gets under it? Maybe the pressure from the ring is keeping the water from getting to the rest of the pool. I know when I did the kids round pool like that years ago we helped it rise for the first foot or two.

8. Back To Top    #8

There is not enough air in the ring. It should be full and taut to have enough lift to raise the sides of the pool as it fills with water. Was the water flowing out over the ring as you tried to fill the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    There is not enough air in the ring. It should be full and taut to have enough lift to raise the sides of the pool as it fills with water. Was the water flowing out over the ring as you tried to fill the pool?
    +1 The ring looks a little under inflated to me too. I don't remember having problems getting ours to rise but maybe we did. Water hose pressure shouldn't make a hill of beans difference.

I would fill it few inches and then air up the ring more. It should just start rising with the water level. Go look at the last picture of the first post on my build. It is a picture of our easy set pool one day when my wife caught it dumping water after the ring had deflated some because of a leak.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...)-pool-install
    Mac.Dblues and ProfessorDaisy's Lower Arkansas Pool Install
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

10. Back To Top    #10

I agree, that is under inflated. Still, it should at least start to float a little bit. Water pressure/speed of fill is irrelevant.

I have had a severely deflated ring before and as long as nothing disturbed the pool it held its water. But yeah, i could see a possible scenario where an under inflated ring might get "run over" by the fill water when the pool is empty.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by hyperionguy View Post
    I agree, that is under inflated. Still, it should at least start to float a little bit. Water pressure/speed of fill is irrelevant.

I have had a severely deflated ring before and as long as nothing disturbed the pool it held its water. But yeah, i could see a possible scenario where an under inflated ring might get "run over" by the fill water when the pool is empty.
    I just wonder if maybe the water was getting out where the hose was laying... hence the need for more air in the ring. And I think there may be a fine line between the ring lifting the walls and the water supporting the side walls with pressure.
    Intex UltraFrame 20ft x 52in deep, 9,400 Gallons / Approx 78,500 lbs, Intex 1600 GPH, 14" sand filter, Hayward Dyna-Skim SP1091LX, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Sample Sizer
    First Fill May 2014, Deck finished June 2014, Mods happening probably on a continuous basis. Stay tuned.....

12. Back To Top    #12

Hey Shoultzy, did you ever get your pool to fill? My wife says she seems to remember us having to "help" our ring to float the first part of the fill.