Pentair Plus Triton minimax heater troubleshooting help

May 11, 2014
Bowie, Maryland
I have a Minimax 250 running on propane that short cycles: I have to turn the thermostat to full and heater will only stay on for a short period then turn off. Sometimes I can hear it cycle several times a minute and hear gas ignite and the shut off etc. Other indications are green pressure light but red service light is on until it cycles on. I called Pentair and they think it's the thermostat. Sounds likely as maybe it thinks it's already hot when it's really only 75-80 degrees. Is there any way to troubleshoot this by jumpering the temp probe wires at the connector before I order a $150 part?

The usual debugging technique is to jumper across each of the safety sensors until the burner lights normally. Onc eyou have it narrowed down to a specific sensor, you need to figure out if the sensor is correct that there is a problem or if the sensor is broken.

Once common problem is not enough air flow due to debris in the burner area or the heat exchanger area.

Thanks Paul. Since the pressure LED stays lit during the fault I'm suspecting the limits as well. Pretty easy to jumper to see if the unit will stay on. BTW, I appreciate your word of caution on your sig line. I will only jumper a fault switch long enough to troubleshoot but won't operate with a bypass that's unsafe. I'll report back after I get a chance to try the jumpers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.