Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Iron Stain Treatment/Algae Death Spiral

1. Back To Top    #1

Iron Stain Treatment/Algae Death Spiral

I got some iron staining this year on my steps and cove. I am not sure where the iron came from as I have never had an issue before. I removed the stains per the pool school with AA. Cleaned up nicely. Added sequestrant afterwards. Per the directions I waited to add chlorine and got a cloudy mess which I shocked to 25 ppm to try to clear up. Of course the iron stains are back. How do I keep my FC at 0 to treat for long enough in hot weather without the water getting away from me.? Algecide did not do the trick. Should I treat them again once the chlorine comes back down and the water clears? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Iron Stain Treatment/Algae Death Spiral

You should SLAM the pool to eradicate the algae in the water. Then you will need to use some algaecide (poly 60) when the FC drops for the AA treatment to try to keep the algae at bay. Then you need to slowly raise the FC back up and use sequestrant regularly.

See this and the link inside:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Iron Stain Treatment/Algae Death Spiral

Thanks. Slam in progress and starting to see bottom barely. Wow this is like the old days before BBB.
    Still not sure how I got the iron. City water had to be source. No heater and new vinyl pool.