Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question regarding CYA and rain storms.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question regarding CYA and rain storms.

Hello I have a new pool (2weeks old) and am using an inline chlorinator "pucks" I know many peeps prefer the BBB method.

I have yet to test for CYA as I'm using the free taylor kit that my PB provided me for free, its a basic kit does not include cya. I will buy a TFT kit as soon as this one runs out.

1. My question is when rain storms hit and replaces some of the water in the pool I would expect my CYA to go down correct? I live in Houston and we have some crazy rain storms, street flooding is a regular occurance here in this part of Texas.

2. How long after using pucks and shock should I expect my CYA to rise causing my chlorine to become less efective? months, weeks, years?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question regarding CYA and rain storms.

If you go to the poolmath tab at the top of this page, at the bottom of poolmath is a section called Effects of Adding Chemicals. A typical chlorine tablet is about 8 ounces of trichlor. Enter the information for your pool on the colored table then go down to Effects of adding chemicals and see how much a single trichlor tablet raises CYA in your pool.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

As zea3 mentioned, a direct calculation will give you a guideline but no substitute for regular testing. For example; I completely stopped using my in-line chlorinator end of last summer. Winter and spring were not a problem; easily maintained FC with clorox & pH with MA. With an occasional CYA check, I thought I was "The Master". However, I underestimated the affect of our recent rains and apparently the increase swim-load (splash-out). CYA dropped from 75 to <30 in about 4-weeks. I'm now setting my in-line (Pentair Model 320) to 1-1/2 and will give the CYA a check during the rainy weather weeks.
    Dave My Pool Build, ODK Build
    22X42 Gunite Freeform 23K Gal, 10X12 Spa
    Diamond-Brite midnight blue, 1800sq. ft Kool Deck
    Pentair Easy-Touch 8, 2-2hp Pentair, 500lb Sand Filter, 400K btu Pentair heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    If you go to the poolmath tab at the top of this page, at the bottom of poolmath is a section called Effects of Adding Chemicals. A typical chlorine tablet is about 8 ounces of trichlor. Enter the information for your pool on the colored table then go down to Effects of adding chemicals and see how much a single trichlor tablet raises CYA in your pool.
    Thanks zea3 for the response. So going back to my first question if rain water enters pool will my CYA go down?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

if rain water enters pool will my CYA go down?
    Not really. Evaporation increases the concentration, rainfall returns the concentration to normal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in Texas too so I know all too well about the Texas floods we have.

In additon to what duraleigh said..... If you have a built in overflow that sends water out of the pool, or if your pool overflows in a downpour, which is entirely possible in a short amount of time where we live, then you will loose some amount of CYA due to the water flowing out of the pool. How much is entirely dependent on factors we really cannot measure. The only way to know is to test for CYA.

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    Thanks zea3 for the response. So going back to my first question if rain water enters pool will my CYA go down?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Some members partially drain the pool before storms and divert the roof rain water into the pool to lower the CYA and the CH.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!