Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filling 20x40 with well water

1. Back To Top    #1

Filling 20x40 with well water

What is a good iron, or metal remover Ive heard it called sequestrate?

A truck of water costs $1900.00 Too much for me

I need to re-fill my pool after a liner replacement and I don't want staining right away when i add chlorine...

I also need to fix the bottom, since i have ground water seeping in at a pretty fast rate.
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 27k gal, 1 hp hayward, s244s hayward SF, Hayward SWG 1 floor drain, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Fiberstars FO lights, Polaris booster, and 380 polaris cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filling 20x40 with well water

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

There is no such thing as a metal remover. Sequestrants temporarily hold metals in suspension, but they break down and need to be replenished frequently.

Jacks Magic products seem to be the second best option for stain control. The first being metal-free water.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

On a separate note, do you know that your well has metals? Many do, but that does not mean yours does
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

My previous liner would stain easily during shocking/slam process. I have used Ascorbic acid to remove the stains but then need to add a lot of chlorine slowly to compensate. I Although i have never had our well tested it does have the iron taste and smell as well as staining my concrete, and house siding.
    I will try Jacks. I have seen another product called Robelle, it has the same Phosphonic acid in it any one heard about it?
    20x40 Vinyl IG, 27k gal, 1 hp hayward, s244s hayward SF, Hayward SWG 1 floor drain, 2 Skimmers, 4 Returns, Fiberstars FO lights, Polaris booster, and 380 polaris cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am too on a well with a decent amount of iron. After re-searching and talking to my well guy... I advise you do not fill the pool from the well. As Jason has pointed out you will never be able to "remove" the iron from the water.

Just for reference in cost: About a year ago we had to have a new pump, and a few months later a new well. The cost here in Florida for a 2" ~200ft well was around $4000.00. The pump alone was about $1,200.00 when it died before the new well.

The water truck doesn't sound so bad.... We had our 16" x 48" filled for $250.

Just my .02...
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL