Yeti coolers

kyle11

May 17, 2012
So we are still working on our pool amenities. Has been slow going recently and staying out of the pool in this heat instead of working is hard. :).

We are building a bar area under our gazebo and was going to put a small under the cabinet refrigerator out there. I then had the idea of a cooler which gave me a excuse to get a yeti cooler. My thinking is we will be replacing a refrigerator every few years at a $200-$250 cost each time being in the south it would run 24/7 and probably not keep anything really cold. I got a deal at a local yeti dealer for a 50qt. 20% off and no tax. I figure this thing will last a lifetime and should keep the beers plenty cold for the weekends.

I am planing on building it into the bar making the top even with the countertop.

Anyone else go this kind of route?

I plan on making it so it can be taken out so draining shouldn't be a problem. If reviews are true this thing can hold 20 pounds of ice for a week, probably shorter given people will be in and out of it a lot though. If I can go a 3 day weekend with it getting opened several times a day with 20 pounds of ice I will be happy though.

I was looking at buying a high end cooler like this (Pelican/Yeti/Engel/Esky/Denali), in the end could not justify the cost. They are great, very heavy duty, etc. But I never need to keep ice that long for weekend camping.

Ended up getting a larger 6day Igloo with actual metal hardware (no plastic hinges/latches) for 1/3 the cost ... I can buy a LOT of ice for a few hundred bucks.

I have a 65 qt Yeti. The only way the Yeti will keep 20 lbs of ice for a week is if you keep it inside before filling it and fill it with pre-cooled drinks. If you start with a hot cooler and room temperature drinks your first batch of ice won't last as long. Once you have the drinks and cooler cooled down, then yes... 20 lbs will last you closer to a week. That said, the Yeti is hands down a much better cooler than the el cheapos out there.

Another important note... order a Coleman motion activated cooler light for it off Amazon or eBay. It sure makes it a lot easier to find your favorite drink after dark.

Got one of these @ Sam's over the weekend: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/retro-party-cooler/prod13080120.ip?navAction= . Yes, it requires 110/120 v electrical connection, but anything I can do to lessen dependence on ice is a good thing. Plus no draining and no water-logged beer bottles and Coke cans at the end of the day. Just another alternative to think about.

For the record, when it comes to traditional coolers, Yeti's are the Rolls Royce of coolers. Our tailgating crew has one and it has performed quite well. Just need a few lineman to lift it when it is fully laden.

Got one of these @ Sam's over the weekend: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/retro-party-cooler/prod13080120.ip?navAction= . Yes, it requires 110/120 v electrical connection, but anything I can do to lessen dependence on ice is a good thing. Plus no draining and no water-logged beer bottles and Coke cans at the end of the day. Just another alternative to think about.

For the record, when it comes to traditional coolers, Yeti's are the Rolls Royce of coolers. Our tailgating crew has one and it has performed quite well. Just need a few lineman to lift it when it is fully laden.

Does that thing have a drain in the bottom? I think the combination of the two (ice and refrigeration) would be a powerful combination. You could ice the drinks and keep it from melting for days or maybe even weeks.

The retro party cooler does not have a drain. Agree that having both refrigeration & traditional ice coolers are a good combo. The refrigerated unit is great at home since an electrical connection is conveniently available and it is one less thing for which I need ice. OTOH, the coolers are usually the only viable option where electricity is not available such as at tailgates.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.