Thanks TFP and opinions wanted

Senea

Jul 31, 2013
I got my 12x24x48" AGP towards the end of last summer. Since I have a couple of aquariums the water balancing info that the pool store was giving just didn't ring true. I happened to find this site and happily had a nice sparkly pool for the remainder of last year.
The nasty winter pretty much trashed my cover and I opened this year to a lovely deep brown/black crud filled pool. After getting as much as I could out And repairing some plumbing issues I discovered I had 0 CYA???!!! I whipped out my trusty sock and put in enough to get it up to 20. Ph was 7.0 and TA was low as well. Adjusted the TA up to hopefully 70 (first mistake) ph still around 7.0. Ok close enough. SLAM time.
Day one my pool ate FC as fast as I could pour it in. (Now that I've seen all these other threads I realize I had an ammonia pool, lol and I have a test for the fish tanks). Day two, water is green. Well that better then brown. I can leave it alone for 3-4 hours without having to dump in more bleach.
Fast forward a few days, get the last pile of leaves etc out. Water is blue and cloudy. A few more days waiting for the filter to catch up. This is not helped by the amazing amount of pollen. My skimmer socks got a workout. At last clear water, no CC and passed the OCLT.
Total time 2 weeks.

Test everything CYA 20, add more to inch up to 40.
Ph 7.4
TA 160???
Hmm tannins from the leaves possibly effecting earlier readings? I know they lower ph.
Ah well TA is for when I'm bored, and my ph is solid at 7.4-7.6 since the end of Apr.

Current tests
FC 4
CC 0
Ph 7.4
TA 160-170
CYA 40

I'm thinking about going to an SWG, I looked at the Intex ones but they don't have the features that I need. The AquaTrol seems to be the next choice.
Do I need to start the fight with my TA before I go to salt? Or is it still something to not worry about.

I don't have a before picture but I do have a now shot of my sparkly pool.

ctvt.jpg

Welcome! :wave:

Sorry it took so long for someone to reply. Maybe this :bump: will get some answers.

I can't offer commentary on choosing a SWG since I don't use one. The TA I would work on, just because high TA tends to push pH up and a SWG is going to push it up even faster once it's going. You'll be fine tuning the SWG on time and CYA levels and everything else, the last thing you'll need is to be battling rapid pH rise right then.

When you do make the transition, hold Diamond Day. Check post #5

For myself, I went with getting the SWG up and running. I work out of town 4 days a week and the war department (wife) refuses to mess with chemicals unless they are pre measured. So I wanted to get the chlorine working before a green monster showed up. Then I worked on TA.

Just my experience.

I have a Confer Step 1. It works well with a big dog. I found that the dog ramps just won't handle his size. Getting something that would work for my boy was the single hardest part of building the pool. Of course getting him to want to get out is another story.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.