Children and pool nets, how old before taking it off?

peacefulkancer

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2013
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Safety is always important with pools - no doubt. To keep our 6yr old safe we have a pool net installed. When we got it he couldn't swim at all - always wore a vest or something. Now that he is older he can swim but is by no means an expert (can swim to one side to the other with great doggy-paddle effort).

I ask because unlike having a fence... the net is always in the way. Instead of just going in and cleaning it one must take the net off to clean leaves or clear debris from the floor cleaner. So of course, the pool gets brushed and cleaned much less than it should be. Don't get me wrong, safety is first.

I was wondering how others have handled nets or fences with their kids as they've gotten older?

I think this greatly depends on your kid. Certainly their swimming ability ... my 4 and 6 year olds are fish and have no issue swimming the length of the pool, much of which underwater. But also in their ability to understand consequences and discipline.

If you tell your kid to stay a certain distance away from the pool to avoid some kind of punishment, will they obey or defy you? All kids are different. And what I may consider safe for my kids may not be for your situation and kids ... and may certainly not be safe if you have visiting kids.

Current house has a fence and gate. Both the kids can open the gate (using their bike or something), but they will not because we have told them they are not allowed without one of us there.

Previous house did not have a fence, but we did not have kids at that time either, so not sure what we would have done. I can see in sat pix, that the people that bought it added a temporary fence splitting the yard for their kids, we would likely have done something similar.

Hard to say what age the kids are allowed in/around the pool without supervision. In reality, my girls now might be safer than they will be when they become teens with dumb boys visiting :D

For me the answer is 4 ever....the net is NOT just for your kids, but for others as well. Also for horseplay that kids always do.

Here catch this ball, overthrown...I run to get it....opps pool in the way....opps fall and hit head and go into pool. Spin that story however you what, but hopefully you get the point.

I have a friend who "lost a child" and I see the pain...I would NEVER compromise on safety. Keep the net on forever!

I agree that it is based on the individual. I just didn't know if it was a guideline that others went by. In fact, I've thought about leaving it on indefinitely during the off-season just in case some kid jumps the wall and falls in. It is just a pain to take off to clean the pool! Grrr... :pale:

And with that said, I have no say in it - the girlfriend has the final say and I don't see her taking it off anytime soon. :cool:

Just from your description of your kids swimming ability, I would not take it off anytime soon. The best investment for you might be swim lessons. Swimming should not take a big effort, the kid needs to learn to relax and "glide" through the water. Trying too hard to swim is a quick way to use up all of your energy and down you go.

What type of cleaner do you have? If you have a dedicated port for a cleaner I would just leave it in the pool and run it as needed.

Just from your description of your kids swimming ability, I would not take it off anytime soon. The best investment for you might be swim lessons. Swimming should not take a big effort, the kid needs to learn to relax and "glide" through the water. Trying too hard to swim is a quick way to use up all of your energy and down you go.

What type of cleaner do you have? If you have a dedicated port for a cleaner I would just leave it in the pool and run it as needed.
I figured I would be leaving it on seeing as how all he can do is doggy paddle. He is proud that he can swim from one side to the other (maybe 20' from deep end to baja-shelf) but I think we all can agree that this particular feat isn't all that impressive.

I do have a side port cleaner and I leave that on all the time; however, the Zodiac G3 seems to love to get random and unseen rocks stuck in its diaphragm and cease to work. :confused:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.