new to the board and new to pool

Jul 16, 2008
smithfield VA
Hiya,
I found this site when I was sarching for ways to maintain a kiddie pool using household bleach--it just made sense that I *should be able to do that, ya know?

So far, I've found SO much great info here and read through most of the Pool School articles.
Our pool is just an overgrown wading pool, Intex Easy Set, round, 12 ft by 30 inches, but it's shallow enough for my very small kids to "swim" safely and deep enough for my very uncomfortable pregnant self to float and get some relief.

My main question right now is do I need the FULL test kit I see in various links (Taylor I think it is?) or can I get the basic one that does chlorine and CC? I would still need a pH kit though, wouldn't I? (Here's a crazy thought... can I use a pH kit like for fish tanks?). The pool will probably only be up another 6-8 weeks this year so I don't want to get more stuff than I will need to actually maintain it for that short time.

Thanks,
Jody

j'momma said:
My main question right now is do I need the FULL test kit I see in various links (Taylor I think it is?) or can I get the basic one that does chlorine and CC?

FC, CC, and pH are the most critical water factors. If you aren't having any issues with the pool, you should be safe with just those for now. Make sure you have accurate & reliable tests for those factors! (FAS-DPD for the chlorine test) Remember that this is about keeping the pool safe for you and your kids, born and unborn!

I am not sure if the aquarium pH test is fine for pools. . . Waterbear could answer that.

If you start with fresh water each season (which I assume you do, with a small pool), then CYA probably isn't an issue even if you have used tablets.

When you get ready to open the pool next season, tho, it would be a good idea to get the full kit. The TF-100 was developed and is sold by a member of this forum. It is an excellent value. The Taylor K-2006 is also a good kit.

I assume you have some financial issues which preclude your buying the complete kit at this time. The reagents probably would need replacing by next season, so it is not necessarily a bad idea for you to wait.

JMO--other's opinions may differ. :)

I LIVED in a intex wading pool when I was pregnant.
Oh it is like heaven! this is my first summer pregnancy so I'm miserable with the heat and of course being due in a month, I'm huge, so the pool is a double blessing.

assume you have some financial issues which preclude your buying the complete kit at this time. The reagents probably would need replacing by next season, so it is not necessarily a bad idea for you to wait.
Right, the full test kit costs as much as the pool did, :mrgreen: , although in the future we would like to go larger, that will be a time, money, and space issue. The reagent shelf life also was a concern, I hate to buy a nice kit and need to get a new one next season.

aquarium pH kits typically do not have the same ranges as for a pool... as long as it reads between 7 and 8 you would be fine.
Hi, and welcome...

aquarium pH kits typically do not have the same ranges as for a pool... as long as it reads between 7 and 8 you would be fine.

Ok, I'll be sure and double check that before getting one. I know I have some around but we haven't had our tanks set up in a while, so they are probably old and inaccurate by now.

FC, CC, and pH are the most critical water factors. If you aren't having any issues with the pool, you should be safe with just those for now. Make sure you have accurate & reliable tests for those factors! (FAS-DPD for the chlorine test)
Thanks, I thought from reading pool school that those were the biggies.

One other thing... I see in the forum that the addition of solar salt can help the water not be so irritating to the eyes. The kids' eyes are turning red even on the first day of fresh water... I hate to think what it would be like in a few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.