Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Copper

1. Back To Top    #1

Copper

Do you recommend anywhere to test for copper? Or a specific test I can do at home? Does it even matter what the number is when you already know it's in the pool and has to be drained anyway? This is a "left over" problem from using Algaecides last year - pre TFP knowledge. I really thought from all the back washing and refilling over winter (lots of rain) that this would not be a problem this year. Ugh! My poor blond son is showing his inner green alien after only a few swims. His hair is not terribly green yet, just a slight tint. Thanks for all your help!
    24,000 gal oval IG pool apr 20 years old, new vinyl liner May 2015, Hayward pump, sand filter with top mounted multivalve apr 10 years old, 1 speed booster pump (replaced in fall 2011), Polaris 380 suction side cleaner, chlorinator puck dispenser - rarely used

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Copper

Taylor makes a copper test (K-1716 for about 20-25 dollars). Any test result over 0.3 ppm can lead to staining issues.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a need for testing since I already know it's causing staining?

4. Back To Top    #4

Not really. Just start using sequestrant.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

That should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School