Exchange new Intex 2650 sand filter/swg for a Hayward?

M

MikeVB

I currently have an Intex SWG that I used one season about 4-5 years ago. Hooked it up to my new Intex Ultra Frame 22x52 after cleaning scale off the plates and it seems to be working fine so far.

However, I was already having to replace the cartridge filters and remembered what a pain they were so I ordered the Intex 2650 Sand Filter and SWG combo unit. Figured one unit = less fuss, and I could sell the old SWG unit.

Now, before unboxing the Intex and doing more reading I'm wondering if I should just keep the old one as long as it works and get a Hayward sand filter with a bigger pump?

Would this be a better use of money in the longterm?

The 2650 pump is just fine. You don't want a larger pump than that. Getting a larger filter is always a good idea. And you might want to consider a two speed pump, which can save a great deal on electric costs.

The 2650 pump is just fine. You don't want a larger pump than that. Getting a larger filter is always a good idea. And you might want to consider a two speed pump, which can save a great deal on electric costs.

Yeah, I'd lose $75 shipping it back anyway for exchange. Plus, I noticed the Intex has a 2-year warranty and the Hayward only has a 1-year. So, I'm going to go with the original plan and use the Intex unit. Hopefully, we won't get copper poisoning or whatever it was everybody was concerned about when Intex started putting copper in the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.