Is it possible to remove and then replace the SAME liner???

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All:

I have gotten a great deal of good information from the posts here and this is my first question. Thanks for all the hlep along the way and for whatever information you have for me now. I'll try to be brief but it is a bit complicated and requires some background

I used the pool company who built my pool for a renovation last summer (May 2013). My pool is free form vinyl liner (20x40 +/- and 33K gallons). They removed the old liner, patched vermiculite where needed (some moderate holes) and put in a new liner. The new liner was not cut correctly and tore as they tried to put it in. While my pool contractor fought with the liner company the pool sat idle for 2 weeks. The day they tried to install it the liner tore and let water run over the sides. See attached picture showing water running over liner with pool company vacuum still on site. Tears are not visible in this shot but are present in the liner.

When they got me a new liner (#2) it fit correctly and it seemed all was well. My contractor did not charge me for the second attempt (the right thing to do). However, over the course of the summer there seemed to be rocks or debris all over the bottom of the deep end - a good deal of it and it made it hard to even push a vacuum. Turns out the initial (too small) liner allowed water in between the liner and walls/floor while they fought with the liner manufacturer and probably weakened the vermiculite patches the very first day and then over the course of the summer it was pushed to the bottom of the deep end and hardened over time. My pool contractor agrees with this theory.

Now - the punch line of all this. The service manager was advocating for liner #3 - again paid for by the pool company. The OWNER is only offering to remove the liner (possibly only from the deep end), sweep up debris, patch vermiculite and replace the same, current liner. Is this even possible to do without leaks? Here are the attachments where holes are currently cut in the deep end: 2 deep drains, 2 floor returns, wall return, skimmer, walk-out steps (fiberglass and the liner attaches on left, right and bottom with screws through trim).

That is my concern - is it possible to remove and replace this current liner and get all the cut-outs back in just the right places without leaks? Has anyone seen this done or know for sure it can be done?

Thanks! Sorry for being long-winded.

Jeff

Attachments

• 100_4361.jpg
    100_4361.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 173
It is not impossible. The oughest thing is lining screw holes back up. If they have a way to save the water from your pool and put it back in they might be able to quickly drain it, fix the issues, and reseat the liner. I have two 6000 gal bladders that I use to speed up the liner replacement delays.

Thought I'd update on my original post. Turns out that the pool construction company WAS able to empty the pool (33K gallons) into temp holding pools and remove the liner from the entire deep end of the pool (20x40 free form). They removed 2 deep end drains, a skimmer, a wall return, a light under the diving board, 2 floor returns and all three sides of the walk-out. ALL of these were replaced with the screws going back through the same holes EXCEPT for the walk-out. For this they pulled each side slightly more taught, screwed into new holes and cut out the excess which included the old holes. So far, seems all is well. I would not believe it if I did not see it and it was challenging for them. 3 very skilled, conscientious and determined guys from Ecuador have my appreciation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.