Revisiting the PVC to Intex pool connectors and locating the thru-wall skimmer

M

MikeVB

Hey,

New member from Georgia. Installing a Hayward skimmer and Intex SWG/Sand Filter on my Intex 22'x52" ultra frame.

Saw the thread below, but still have a question about using gaskets between the modified PVC 1-1/2" box adaptor and the Intex outlet. The OP in the thread said he used the L gasket from the old Intex plunger. But seems like the gasket would pinch and leak.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...adapters-Step-by-step-Lots-of-embedded-photos

Also, is there a "best" position to locate the Hayward skimmer relative to the original inlet/outlet?

i put my hayward skimmer about 4-5 feet down from the original inlet on my old 18 x 48 intex...... and it didnt do a very good job at skimming. If I had to do that pool over again, I would put it either right above the original inlet or right next to it, close to the return. on my doughboy pool the skimmer is about 2 feet from the return and it does a superior job of skimming.

I just put in the Hayward on my Intex 16' Ultra. I put it right between the old inlet and the outlet. Right on the "INTEX" label on the pool. I upgraded the outlet jet with the one that came with the Hayward and it works awesome. The frame to the skimmer goes up onto the grey top portion of the liner, but the cut only goes into the checkered portion of the liner.

I hard plumbed it and couldn't be happier. There is crazy suction and the return is night and day better than the original equipment.
Hard Plumb 1.jpg

Hey,

New member from Georgia. Installing a Hayward skimmer and Intex SWG/Sand Filter on my Intex 22'x52" ultra frame.

Saw the thread below, but still have a question about using gaskets between the modified PVC 1-1/2" box adaptor and the Intex outlet. The OP in the thread said he used the L gasket from the old Intex plunger. But seems like the gasket would pinch and leak.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...adapters-Step-by-step-Lots-of-embedded-photos

Also, is there a "best" position to locate the Hayward skimmer relative to the original inlet/outlet?

I just did this a few weeks ago so I will answer how I did it.

My pump had rubber gaskets at the connection points....I left those in place and all was good there. At the Intex intake/return valves on the pool. The rubber o-ring on the valve is suppose to make the seal and will on the factory hose. The adaptor that we have to build to use the Intex nut has a slightly larger ID than the factory Intex hose does. I was afraid that this would not seal and it would drip. What I did was buy a couple of 2 1/4" OD by 1/8" thick rubber washer from my Ace Hardware store. This rubber washer has the correct outer diameter to fit snugly in the Intex nut. The center of the washer only had a 3/4" hole in it...so I had to trim the inner hole out to match the inner diameter of the PVC fitting. It took all of 5 minutes and not a drop from either one. Remember these nuts will tighten down on the Intex valves hand tight...so the gasket stays in place and seals good. It might not have leaked without it...but it cost me $1.50 and five minutes of my time to ensure that they will not leak.

As for the location of the skimmer. I have my return pointed up and to the left if you are standing outside the pool looking down at the return. This causes a clockwise flow of water around the pool. I watched blades of grass and dead bugs circle on the top in the clockwise flow of water and where they hit the side of the pool or came closest to hitting the side of the pool was where I put the skimmer. It was in the panel between the factory intake and return. Mine is a 18' pool so you might want to aim your return to generate a clockwise flow of water and put a few blades of grass in the pool to see what route they follow. Since I put mine in...skimming the top has pretty much become a thing of the past.

Here is a pic showing where my skimmer is.

Make sure you locate the skimmer as high as you can....My frame overlaps the grey part of the liner...but the screws and the cut are all in the blue/white part of the liner.

also OP, if you are going to keep old inlet too, I highly suggest ball valves on the skimmer and inlet. heck, i suggest it on the return to as its nice when you need to work on things. but understand that when you have 2 inlets they divide the suction between them. this is bad when you want to vacuum. have ball valves so that when you hook you vac up to the skimmer, you can close the valve on the underwater inlet and double your vac suction. :D also, regular pvc ball valves are leaps and bounds above the intex ones.

also OP, if you are going to keep old inlet too, I highly suggest ball valves on the skimmer and inlet. heck, i suggest it on the return to as its nice when you need to work on things. but understand that when you have 2 inlets they divide the suction between them. this is bad when you want to vacuum. have ball valves so that when you hook you vac up to the skimmer, you can close the valve on the underwater inlet and double your vac suction. :D also, regular pvc ball valves are leaps and bounds above the intex ones.

Yep, only problem is neither Home Repot nor Blowes has a single 1-1/2" ball valve in stock. Got wads of 1-1/4" and 2", but zero 1-1/2" which is the pipe size I'm determined to use.

Yep, only problem is neither Home Repot nor Blowes has a single 1-1/2" ball valve in stock. Got wads of 1-1/4" and 2", but zero 1-1/2" which is the pipe size I'm determined to use.

:laughblue: i know how you feel Mike. I hate the box stores.... hardly ever have what I need, and when they do, its too dang expensive. might try a small local hardware store or as lacey suggested, the internet.

you could also use the 2 inch with a 1 1/2 step down if they have those in stock.... of course at an added expense to you, courtesy of HD and LWS...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.