Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vacuum issues

1. Back To Top    #1

Vacuum issues

Hello! We inherited an inground pool when we bought our home. It had not been used for about 5 years (that includes not being cleaned or winterized). We replaced the filter, pump motor, and some leaky pipes. We also purchased a Mamba automatic vacuum. There is a leak somewhere (we think, rather hope, it's in the liner) so everytime we want to try to clean it, we have to spend a few hours filling it to level again. The problem is, everytime I connect the vacuum, the pump loses its prime. I'll be happy to get in and search for a tear in the liner, but ,as of now, the deep end has a thick layer of black dirt. Considering how many dead mice,birds, and chipmunks I've had to fish out, I'm not comfortable getting in until I can see the bottom. This is the first pool we've ever owned so I'm learning as I go. Oh, and the vacuum attaches to the skimmer line. Any help and/or suggestions would be so appreciated! We are wasting so much money refilling it just to be left with a filthy pool.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Vacuum issues

You can let the pool leak down until it stops dropping the water level to pinpoint where it is leaking from. If you have a pool light and/or a main drain those are other areas that may leak. How far down have you allowed it to leak out until you refilled the pool? How long did it take to leak out that much?

Losing prime with the vacuum connected is another issue. You have an air leak somewhere in the suction side, probably between the vacuum hose and the skimmer if you are able to maintain prime without the vacuum connected.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!