Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I adding to much bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I adding to much bleach?

First of all, I want to thank everyone here at TFP for this wonderful site and all you do to help us newbies and guide us on the way to a sparkley pool. I haven't posted before, but have read through this site thoroughly and as a result have a beautiful pool.
    I do however have a question. I am currently having to add about 1/2 a gallon of 8.25% bleach every day to my pool. I have the TFT-50 test kit and everything is fine according to pool math. My CYA is around 40 I believe. That test is kind of suggestive so I could be off some. Thhe pool gets little use during the week, but is in the direct sunlight most of the day. Does 1/2 gallon a day sound about right? Thank for the help.
    photo (2).JPG
    27' x 54" Above Ground Pool, 1 1/2 HP Single Speed Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I adding to much bleach?

That sounds fine!

Assuming the pool is not filled to the rim, I plugged the size as 27' X 4' into poolmath and came up with 17400 gallons.

2 ppm loss per day would make it thirsty for 52 oz of 8.25% bleach per day. A jug of clorox is 121 oz, so half a jug is only 60 oz. That's pretty close. 2.3 loss per day is certainly in the reasonable range.

Oops, I almost forgot to say Welcome!
    Last edited by Richard320; 06-09-2014 at 10:14 AM. Reason: welcome
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you Richard! I guess a dollar a day is not bad for a beautiful sparkley pool.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! And I love your lighted palms!
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post

Welcome! And I love your lighted palms!
    Me too.. where'd you get them??
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you. I do too! I don't know where the previous owners got them. They came with the house, but i found a link. WOW they are expensive!

http://www.target.com/p/lighted-palm...hts/-/A-694088