New Pump + LQ = :-(

Mwjman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
Scenario: Right sized with a Hayward Matrix 1 HP 2 Speed. After finally getting the LQ tweaked, I now have flow issues with low speed. Due to slope in yard, the main drain is just below pump level, skimmer, above. If I let the Main Drain be the primary source and back off the skimmer, it will work well, but then the skimmer, well it doesn't skim.

I recall coming across a couple of threads and the venturi effect just before the pump to aid in flow - would they help in this scenario? Are there any other options?

My fear is that during a heavy swim load, DW will turn the pump on high, not re-adjust the LQ and over-chlorinate the pool...

Which those pesky peristaltic pumps were not so $ - starting to understand why folks use them.

The Liquidator can be setup for any one pump speed, but there is no straightforward way to get it to work correctly at two different pump speeds without adjusting it each time you change pump speed.

Thanks all for the input. In looking through some older threads, appears Stenner and RotaChem are the two most common.

RotaChem seems to have an adjustment that would allow it to come on with the filter (already on timer) and be able to tweak the output.

The Stenner seems to only have a fixed output.

Any thoughts on the brand of pump? I know the Stenner with their tank has a rain guard, not sure if the RotaChem can be exposed to the elements - based on what I have been able to fine, it must be protected - never easy.

Also, what are folks using for the Chlorine Storage Tank?

I have my stenner on a separate timer. Car wash near me was selling their 15 gal empty barrels. My run time on the pump is about a half hour a day. 15 min raises chlorine level by 1 for me. My have to increase run time as the pool gets more use over the summer.

You can also buy Stenner pumps with inbuilt timers.... I think you need to actually look at the website I posted earlier, there's a huge range of Stenner pumps that can do just about anything you'll need.... Have a look....

I have the Stenner pump and 7 gallon tank.... :) Its a stand alone unit and it has space in my equipment box next to my filter and my solar pump.... I didn't have anywhere I wanted to install the pump so that's why I chose the Stenner tank.... And because its inside my equipment box (just an outdoor storage box) it won't get wet... :) Rola-Chem are more expensive than Stenner......

Thanks all for the input. While spending some time looking at both of those, I stumbled upon a Blackstone pump, made by Hana. Adjustable and a different design, claims less maintenance. Anyone with experience with these?

The Stenner and matching tank is a nice clean setup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.