Getting a pool, need advice on optional accessories

S1ngram

Jun 7, 2014
St. Bernise, Indiana
Hi all,

I'm so glad I found this site! I'm getting a pool installed in a matter of weeks, so I'm trying to get everything just right. There are some options that I'm not sure about spending the extra money on, and want some advice. Right now I'm on the fence and wondering if they are worth the money. Here are the options and add on prices:

aqualuminator light (installed in side of pool) - $150
sharkvac robotic cleaner - $600

I have seen after market underwater lighting for less (that floats in the pool) and I'm not sure we'll be swimming that much at night. How bad will the lights draw in bugs at night?

How much do I really need to spend on a pool vacuum? Don't they have manual ones that I can just push around the pool bottom? I saw less expensive automatic cleaners on another website, but reviews were mixed about how they worked. There are a lot of complains that the vacuums flip over or get stuck in corners. I don't have any corners, but I will have a Confer Step in the pool that it could get stuck on.

We will also be getting a small deck installed to gain access to the pool. It will be big enough for a chaise lounge and a couple of pool side chairs...maybe 12' x 12'. We already have a large deck on the back of the house, but the two can't really be connected. I have been thinking about doing a composite wood for the walking surface of the deck so no one gets splinters in their feet. Any comments on that material would be appreciated.

Oh, and one last thing...can anyone estimate cost savings for BBB over standard pool chemicals?

I know I've asked a lot of questions. I will be greatly appreciative of any comments, web links, reading material, ideas or suggestions.

S1ngram

Welcome,

The TFPC (BBB) method will almost always save a significant amount of money but it's just a side benefit. The main point of what we teach is knowledge and understanding above all else. Being in control of your pool and knowing what is truly gong on with it.

The best thing you can do for you and your pool long term is to get educated. Start with the ABC's in Pool School, and work on things from there.

Lastly, you must test properly to be able to control the pool and keep it nice. Spend another little bit of money and get a proper kit. It will pay for itself many times over. You can't get a better buy than a TF100 and the optional speed stir. Without a good kit, you are flying blind.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. Be sure to post your new build too. We love seeing pics!

A built in light is very much worth it on a pool, those little floating lights are ok for minimal illumination (I use a pair of them for low level lighting when we o in pool movie nights on the projection screen), but they are no substitute for a real pool light.

Words there were never spoken by a pool owner: I would rather manually vacuum a pool (Ok, maybe they have been spoken when proceeding the word "than"....)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.