Child Safety Fence

Finkle

Apr 5, 2013
Bucks County, PA
Morning all,

I had a quick question on child safety fences. I had guardian come out and give me a price to fence in my IG liner pool. I have a fence around my yard, but I also have a 2yr old and need something to isolate the pool. I did a little research and it seemed like guardian was a good choice, though they all seem to "be the best". The fence is removable, which is nice, and the size hole they drill is relatively small (5/8"). Their price was $3700, which included one self closing gate. To me that seemed high, but i haven't quoted any other companies yet.

So my questions are:

1. does anybody have experience with guardian?
2. does that price seem reasonable, and is it worth it?
3. What other brands have anyone had success with?

While i really like the mesh fencing, and the fact that its removable, I am considering a permanent aluminum fence to keep cost down.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Nick

Hi Nick, we don't have a removable mesh fence yet but have been shopping around. How many linear feet were included in your quote? The phone bid I got was priced per linear foot, If I recall. Our PB recommended shopping around on Craigslist for a used fence, he said people tend to use them a few years and then take them down with the kids are older, so can often be had for a good price. Then find an installer to put in for you (I've seen several that advertise on Craigslist, too).

My cousin in FL with two small kids told me to be prepared to sell a kidney, so I understand they are quite pricey.

For my install, the mesh and/or nice black alum came in at the same price installed.

So I paid $1015 for 35 foot of mesh fence including a self closing gate. I think I did not get a deal, but it is what it is.

We love it...use the gate for quick swims, take the WHOLE front down for parties. I will try to find a pic and post later.

My pool is 45x12. I was quoted $5500 to use fixed black aluminum fence. We have a 19 month old and a 4 year old. Instead we are going to use a pool alarm (that has in house remote) and high latches on the doors to the backyard to keep them out.

That is about what my budget was for in total....I have a big patio, so the magic is how much LINEAR feet of fence do you need.

Thanks for everyone's input. I wanted to have the pool enclosed so that we could have little ones outside and not have to play toddler goalie. So my quote for the mesh fence which gave me just about enough room to walk around on the inside the fence to vacuum was about 125 feet (my pool is about 16x34 rectangular). That said I could shave off a little by including part of my patio and starting/stopping the fence on either side of my Sun room. I guess I'll just have to have another company come out to give me a price on aluminum so I know what I'm working with. In the meantime, I'll check Craigslist, that's a great idea Mia.

We thought about mesh but ended up going with an aluminum pool fence. It's not removable but we liked the look better. We also wanted to have the pool separate from the rest of the backyard (sandbox, play structure, run around room, garden...) and since we have a fenced yard and our pool is on one side of the yard, we only had to use pool fence on two sides to completely enclose it. We love the way it looks and functions.

Every city has different code requirement. At my old house we did have a mesh fence and liked being able to take it down. At my current house we ended up installing a rod iron powder coated fence. It was more then I wanted to spend but was city code compliant and galvanized to prevent it from rusting.
Every fence has its pros and cons just weigh your options and see what fits your needs. Child safety is not something we could put a price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finkle, that price sounds very high to me for a mesh child safety fence.

But, maybe they are less common up there? My pool is about your size (32x19) and quotes for a child safety mesh fence were around $2,000.

That said, there is a lot of competition betw companies so the prices are probably lower than in other parts of the country.

We had a 5ft tall guardian fence, pet mesh, and gate put in for about $1000 for 40ft. Your estimate sounds reasonable to me. We have had it for almost 4 years and it is still in perfect condition.

Thank you for all the feedback. Just a quick update: I had two more quotes on fences, one for a standard aluminum fence and one for a different mesh fence brand. The standard aluminum was $4100, sight unseen. The guy wouldn't even come out, he just asked me linear footage and how many gates and gave me a price over the phone... weird. The second mesh fence guy came in at about 2600-2800, depending on my configuration, which was significantly less than guardian. I'm going to get one or two more quotes before I decide, but I think we've made up our mind that we'd prefer the mesh. There are more brands of this mesh fence out there than I thought, and not much feedback online that puts any one in the lead which is frustrating.

Well my idea of locking the doors isn't working. My 21 month old now uses the doggie door as is his personal portal to the backyard. I can install myself, but have there been recommended brands of fencing? Aluminum vs fiberglass? I saw a youtube video of a sales guy bending every brand fence post over except his own (or course). What's the best?

After you drill the holes, what about wintertime water/freezing/cracking?

Actually I just found the video and it was by protect-a-child. They claim even more strength that Guardian. Guardian's claim is the smaller hole in the deck for the stainless pins. Protect-a-child claims the most strength and the poles twist and lock into the ground.

You are correct. I forgot about them. The fence my guy used has the x-frame tubing. I figure by the time time my grand kids got big enough to break one , they would also be old enough to know what will happen if they are close to the pool without an adult present.

We have a Protect-A-Child Fence with the self-closing, self-latching gate from 10 years ago, so the pricing wouldn't be relevant. But, even though we rarely put it up now since the kids have grown, if we have a party or house guests, it goes up in 15 minutes. (We labeled the sections when we put it away.) It still looks brand new, and the grey plastic hole covers still look new after all these winters. When my daughter was still too young for us to leave it down but had gotten tall enough to reach the gate latch, they came out for free and installed an extender. Can't say enough good things about the quality of the fence, the installation and the product.

Please do some research and spend the extra money on the gate. It's those moments when the pool owner just steps away from the open pool for "just a second" that are the times when accidents can happen. A gate that closes automatically behind you always closes. Closing a panel takes 10-20 seconds and nothing in your arms, each and every time. That's how Jack Nicklaus' grandson drowned. The nanny left the panel open when she took the children inside, and the 17-month old snuck back out and into the hot tub. The peace of mind is worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.