let sequestrant level drop....black marks appearing

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
My original fill water was from my well, untreated/softened. I had been consistently been adding Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and appeared to keep the stains at bay, and it appeared to reduce some apparent scaling. I ran out, and went away on vacation last week. I now seem to have a couple of black spots that can not be removed with a stain eraser and don't get better with placing a trichlor tablet on them.....so, I'm pretty sure they are from metal falling out of solution. While I will be stocking up on Jack's and adding that as soon as I receive it, I wanted to ask a question about adding Salt to my water. I read elsewhere that adding "softened" water will reduce the propensity for staining. If this is true, then would adding Salt to my water be helpful in this situation?

I'll attempt to remove the stains completely, which only go away using Jack's Copper & Scale Stuff (I tried with ascorbic acid, with no luck, but I did have luck with the Jack's), following the end of the season. I can't do it now since the PH has to be taken so low and I can't bypass the heater. Once the pool is closed, I plan to do the treatment and circulate the water with a portable submersible pump.

Thoughts on either of these ideas?

smuggs said:
My original fill water was from my well, untreated/softened. I had been consistently been adding Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and appeared to keep the stains at bay, and it appeared to reduce some apparent scaling. I ran out, and went away on vacation last week. I now seem to have a couple of black spots that can not be removed with a stain eraser and don't get better with placing a trichlor tablet on them.....so, I'm pretty sure they are from metal falling out of solution. While I will be stocking up on Jack's and adding that as soon as I receive it, I wanted to ask a question about adding Salt to my water. I read elsewhere that adding "softened" water will reduce the propensity for staining. If this is true, then would adding Salt to my water be helpful in this situation?

I'll attempt to remove the stains completely, which only go away using Jack's Copper & Scale Stuff (I tried with ascorbic acid, with no luck, but I did have luck with the Jack's), following the end of the season. I can't do it now since the PH has to be taken so low and I can't bypass the heater. Once the pool is closed, I plan to do the treatment and circulate the water with a portable submersible pump.

Thoughts on either of these ideas?
Hi I am new here, I read your post , I use Citric acid ( vitamin C ) to clear my stains , my pool is Fiberglass it clears it instantly , however they do comeback. maybe it will work for your pool too , the other trick is get a Orenge peel and rub it on the spots if it clears then the Vitamin c will work, just place them (Handfull) in the skimmer basket and see what happens the next day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.