Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: let sequestrant level drop....black marks appearing

1. Back To Top    #1

let sequestrant level drop....black marks appearing

My original fill water was from my well, untreated/softened. I had been consistently been adding Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and appeared to keep the stains at bay, and it appeared to reduce some apparent scaling. I ran out, and went away on vacation last week. I now seem to have a couple of black spots that can not be removed with a stain eraser and don't get better with placing a trichlor tablet on them.....so, I'm pretty sure they are from metal falling out of solution. While I will be stocking up on Jack's and adding that as soon as I receive it, I wanted to ask a question about adding Salt to my water. I read elsewhere that adding "softened" water will reduce the propensity for staining. If this is true, then would adding Salt to my water be helpful in this situation?

I'll attempt to remove the stains completely, which only go away using Jack's Copper & Scale Stuff (I tried with ascorbic acid, with no luck, but I did have luck with the Jack's), following the end of the season. I can't do it now since the PH has to be taken so low and I can't bypass the heater. Once the pool is closed, I plan to do the treatment and circulate the water with a portable submersible pump.

Thoughts on either of these ideas?
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: let sequestrant level drop....black marks appearing

Quote Originally Posted by smuggs
    My original fill water was from my well, untreated/softened. I had been consistently been adding Jack's Magic Blue Stuff and appeared to keep the stains at bay, and it appeared to reduce some apparent scaling. I ran out, and went away on vacation last week. I now seem to have a couple of black spots that can not be removed with a stain eraser and don't get better with placing a trichlor tablet on them.....so, I'm pretty sure they are from metal falling out of solution. While I will be stocking up on Jack's and adding that as soon as I receive it, I wanted to ask a question about adding Salt to my water. I read elsewhere that adding "softened" water will reduce the propensity for staining. If this is true, then would adding Salt to my water be helpful in this situation?

I'll attempt to remove the stains completely, which only go away using Jack's Copper & Scale Stuff (I tried with ascorbic acid, with no luck, but I did have luck with the Jack's), following the end of the season. I can't do it now since the PH has to be taken so low and I can't bypass the heater. Once the pool is closed, I plan to do the treatment and circulate the water with a portable submersible pump.

Thoughts on either of these ideas?
    Hi I am new here, I read your post , I use Citric acid ( vitamin C ) to clear my stains , my pool is Fiberglass it clears it instantly , however they do comeback. maybe it will work for your pool too , the other trick is get a Orenge peel and rub it on the spots if it clears then the Vitamin c will work, just place them (Handfull) in the skimmer basket and see what happens the next day.
    19000 Gal. Fiberglass Inground 44x18 irregular shape pool
    Heat Siphon heater , Cooper Ind. Ranger Series Sand Filter, 3/4 HP Speck pump, Astral inline Chlorinator
    Aquacheck and TF100 tester
    NJ USA