Help for replacing sand filter,brand, size?

marksj

Jun 8, 2014
New Windsor
After trying to find a leak on my daughters sand filter this week we found a crack in it and have to replace it.This pool was paid to be winterized by a company that has winterized the pool the past 4 years.There is definitely a crag in the bottom of the filter housing as we unhooked the filter and rotated it to check it out.First step is to see if the company that winterized pool will cover this if not,
Pool is 18ft x36ft, 3ft shallow end 6 ft deep end.It is in ground with vinyl liner.
I have used pool calculators and come up with around 22,000 gal.
Is there a better "brand"
What size should we get?
The filter that is in there now is a Waterfall, the 26in box is checked on the filter and it shows 200lbs of sand.
In the little time I have spent checking filters out the 22in filters have 325lbs of sand in them now.
The pump is 1.5 hp and the piping is 1.5 in and out.
Any help or suggestions for a noob:(

Bigger is generally better as it lets you go longer between backwashing, but that also depends on local conditions, since you have an existing filter with 200 pounds of sand, and you should know how long she was going between needing to backwash this should give you a good idea if you need to move up a size or two, or not. A better question to ask might be would she be better off with a cartridge filter or even a DE filter that night be easier to drain and move into a heated storage space for the winter?

Ike

Ike is right on the money. I'm understanding New Windsor is in New York and the pool isn't used year round, I'm partial to going with a cartridge filter. You can drain the tank, remove the filter, put it in the garage and not worry about it. Cleaning a cartridge filter takes about 15 minutes, to remove, hose off, and replace.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.