new house new pool

Oct 5, 2012
Houston, TX
Just moved into new house with bigass pool

Looks like old owners had pool guy that did little more that add tablets to floating chlorinators. Got it vacummed snd brushed but we have some heavy algae in cracks and crevices and the steps get brownish.

Got a tf100 kit.
Fc: 6
Cc: 0
Ta: 80
Ch: 425
Cya: 80

Pool store measured cya at 99 last week. But im not sure how absolute the test is for cya. At 100 the black dot is very faint but I can still see it till 80. (Did it 3 times).

I measured the fc this evening before bed. It was a 4. (The full set of numbers was this am, we had a sunny houston day today). I will measure fc am tomorrow and see what the oovernight fc loss is. I need to get in there and scrub the algea out of the cracks and crevices. And change out The pool and spa lights. What do you guys like for colored led pool bulbs?

Any way happy to be here and I like the bbb method. Very easy. He re in houston we get 3 121 oz bottles of 8.25 chlorox from sams club for 8.18 plus tax.

Best y`all...

Zach

Black dot needs to disappear, that means you are above 100, do a 50/50 dilution test to see where you really are. mix 1 part pool water with 1 part tap water and retest the CYA, divide by 2 for your result. For example mix 10ml of pool water with 10ml of tap water and use that water for your CYA test. Let us know the result...

If I read correctly, CYA is indeed 80. The black dot didn't disappear at 100, but did disappear at 80, so the level is 80. That is a little high, but can be lived with. If you can I would lower CYA a bit with water replacement, but 80 can be managed.

With CYA at 80, you want FC between 6 and 11 and never below 6 for normal operation. FC levels should be quite a bit higher, 31, if there is visible algae.

Drained about 7 or 8000 gallons got the cya to 65. Then vacuumed and brushed pulled both lights out. Scrubbed inside and out (covered in algae). The put in 10 121 oz bottles of 8.25 chlorox. Will check levels in the am and ensure chlorine is 25-27 range and keep pumps on 24/7....

Checked FC last night was 24 and cc at 0.5(not convinced of that, but wife says she saw it turn pink :confused: )

Anyhow... tested this AM before direct sun and had 19ppm FC and 0 CC. Dropped in 4 more gallons of 8.25 chlorox and brushed the sides and turned on the polaris for the day... should bring to 28 ppm(per pool pal app)

gotta buy more bleach....

10470215_10154210912755364_4131561760975290137_n.jpg

Chlorine loss for the day yesterday was huge, down to 14. Pumped it up to 26 last night. Has 0 fc loss overnight.

Dosed with 6 more bottles this am to be sure to kill any possible mustard algae, taking fc to 40. Dumped in all my hoses and equiptment.....

I assume I have to keep the mustard shock for 24 hours?

Also do the higher the levels of chlorine during the day the more you lose since there is more to be oxidized?

Thx

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.