HELP!!

Jun 8, 2014
Oswego, IL
This is my 2nd summer with a pool. Last summer we drained the water out and started over because the previous home owner didn't maintain it very well. This year however we just added more water and now I can't get it clean. I've done liquid shock, adjusted the Ph levels, added algaecide...it was still cloudy. So then I blindly vacuumed the bottom, hoping it would help...did that, waited a day, still cloudy. Finally today I went to granule shock, put that in...still cloudy. I'm about to lose my mind!! Any help or ideas?

1. What test kit are you using, and what were your numbers. Keep in mind we don't trust any numbers that didn't come from a Taylor 2006 kit or the TF100 kit, you can order the your kit from the links provided here, or find a Taylor 2006 kit elswhere, the TF100 is only available from tftestkits.com but uses the same reagents as the Taylor kit, but is a better value.
2. post details about your pool in your signature.
3. Stop using the chemicals from the pool store, they are probably going to make your problem worse.
4. Read Pool School (link at the top of the page)

Thanks...not sure on the test kit, but it never gave me issues last year when compared to the readings I'd get when I took it to be analyzed. I moved into this house last year and inherited the pool...been doing a lot of learning on the fly and don't know a lot of the specifics (also can't find where to add a signature). I can tell you it's about a 23,000 gallon above ground pool, 30 foot diameter, cartridge filter....all hayward parts. Where do I get chemicals from if not the pool store? I'll read the pool school link...thanks

You need to follow the SLAM process as described in Pool School. Doing so requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Pool store testing is worth what you pay for it ... very inaccurate and not repeatable.

Thanks, I'll look into that...but I have to say I'm confused. All I'm hearing on here is that pool stores are a joke, and the people at the pool stores are saying that going to a super store or anything like that is a joke...so where in the world are all of you guys going to get your chems and testing, advice, whatever...when you have an issue?

When I need advice, I come here. But after reading Pool School, reading these forums I don't need a lot of advice. I'm in control of my pool and how it works. I've been to the local pool store twice. I'm convinced I know more about pools than the whole staff put together and it's my first year owning a pool.

I test my own water with a great test kit with confidence. I buy cheap chemicals that are the only things my pool needs and I know why it needs it. Why would I need a pool store? I'm trying to pay for my kids' education, not theirs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Remember pool stores want to take your money, and don't tend to care what is cheapest or best for you, they just want you to come back and spend more. We are mostly fellow pool owners, trying to help each other out and have no financial stake in the matter. (well most of us don't, Dave the site owner also owns TF-Testkits, which he founded to offer a quality no compromise test kit, which many of us endorse) We do also list the Taylor K-2006 as an acceptable kit, so it is not like we are telling everyone you have to buy the TF-100, we just find it to be a much better bang for your buck particularly if you get the XL option even if it is a few dollars more, as they both use Taylor brand reagents. Every other test kit out there we find is a distant 3rd, although some of the new automated systems may be promising, they still cost $1,000+ and the consumables tend to be much more expensive than the Taylor reagents as well, and still require a great deal of care and calibration to get good results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.