Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50,000 BTU heat pump not hot, assume this normal?

1. Back To Top    #1

50,000 BTU heat pump not hot, assume this normal?

I just installed my new Raypac heat pump, the water is 62.5 , it is kicking out cold air, compressor is running, I just assumed the water would be warm coming out of the pump. But I suppose it's just a long process and the cold water is giving it a fight?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 50,000 BTU heat pump not hot, assume this normal?

The water coming out should only be a few degrees warmer than the pool water, perhaps 1 to 5 degrees depending on the size of the pump. It is difficult to detect that small of a temperature difference without a very accurate thermometer. Over time that small temperature increase accumulates and the pool gets noticeably warmer, but it takes time.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is the air temp ? If the air is a bit cool as well, as Jason suggested the temp might be on the low side of what he mentioned.

But when the air is not, I can for sure ALWAYS feel a temp differential. It does take 10 minutes or so to fully kick in and heat the water...not sure how long you waited to test of course.

Then again my HP is roughly 3 times your size...so that might have something to do with it.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, I think it's built for maintaining heat, I'm just used to the 5 Ton that heats the house. What's tough is one unit cooling the house and one unit heating the pool running at the same time!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I am not too familiar with heat pumps on pools. I don't think there is one in my area so I may be way off on this... 50,000 BTU is not a very big heat source. How big is this pool? I do know that heat pumps do take a long time to achieve water temps.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    I am not too familiar with heat pumps on pools. I don't think there is one in my area so I may be way off on this... 50,000 BTU is not a very big heat source. How big is this pool? I do know that heat pumps do take a long time to achieve water temps.
    Just to put things in perspective though...with my HP, I can raise the temp about 8 degrees in a decent day (that is about 10 hours of run time, so nearly a degree an hour)....yes this is not as fast as NG, but not too shabby. Also the size pool, air, water and size all play into this.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

HP's are slow heaters compared to gas so a pool cover makes a big difference as well, try cooling you house down with AC and your windows open.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmb5325 View Post
    HP's are slow heaters compared to gas so a pool cover makes a big difference as well, try cooling you house down with AC and your windows open.
    Yes 10000% you MUST have a solar cover for evening protection of your heat

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool is only 8000 Gallons, I'd say when the temp is up the HP will maintain fine, it's been cold here so it may not be time get things going just yet.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Compared to the PAIN of paying to fill the LP tanks for my pools heater I'd rather be paying the electric bill for the heat pump.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

61 to 75 in 6 hours today, guess it's making heat.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Nine2Nine View Post
    Awesome...I really think HP are a bit misunderstand and under appreciated...promise you that cost less than heating with NG. GREAT JOB!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by toofast View Post
    Awesome...I really think HP are a bit misunderstand and under appreciated...promise you that cost less than heating with NG. GREAT JOB!
    +1 on that. I think you have to hit someone over the head with the savings to get them to appreciate them. Same as one for your homes heating and cooling. The up front cost is easily made up in cost to operate.

I was curious if it could be used to cool also ?? Not needed here in WI but might be nice in AZ, CA ...
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by kiss4afrog View Post
    +1 on that. I think you have to hit someone over the head with the savings to get them to appreciate them. Same as one for your homes heating and cooling. The up front cost is easily made up in cost to operate.

I was curious if it could be used to cool also ?? Not needed here in WI but might be nice in AZ, CA ...

Some HP are reversible, i.e. for cooling, but most of them are just for heat. Mine is just for heat.

15. Back To Top    #15

And the lower the outside temp, the less heat they produce. Efficiency drops, until all output can cease around 50 degrees (models vary), and you run the risk of it freezing up (most have built in protections and defrost cycles to protect it).
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

That is pretty good. 14 degrees in 6 hours is faster than my gas heater. What was the air temp during that period?
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

17. Back To Top    #17

That's really good. I average about 1 degree per hour from a 140k HP with a 25k gallon pool when outside temps are 65 or better.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

18. Back To Top    #18

Outside temp 23 C or 73 American...haha... It made good heat even thou it didn't feel like it, no problem using flex with those temps. I heat and cool my home with a 5 Ton HP, with very high electric rates and I'm still 1/2 the cost of oil or propane.
    Pretty sure they are not built with the reversing valve for cooling.

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Pretty sure they are not built with the reversing valve for cooling.
    Did some research and yes they do. http://www.poolheatpumps.com/PoolChillers.htm That would be nice if you lived where it's really hot. My problem is getting it hot before I have to cover it for the winter !!

Wish I could trade my LP heater for one. Looks to be way cheaper to run.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok mine isn't built with the reversing valve!!! Ha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast