sivymp1 - testing

May 26, 2014
Clinton,Iowa
I started a new thread for your post. It is confusing to everyone when two posters are asking question within the same thread (Hi-jacking). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --duraleigh, TFP Moderator

I just got my Taylor T-2006 and was trying the CYA test for the first time. I did exactly as the instructions but the dot never disappeared. What do I do?

Re: How do you test for CYA?

Probably just means you have very little CYA in the water. If there is CYA the mixture of pool water and CYA reagent will turn milky when you shake it... and so will gradually obscure the dot as you fill up the tube.

IIRC for the most accurate reading you should be standing with your back to direct sunlight, ie so sun is not shining directly on the tube as you're filling it.

Is the pool water fresh (ie you just filled it) or has it been in use for some months ?

Re: How do you test for CYA?

My pool water has been really cloudy like you cannot see a foot down. Went to the pool store (frustrated) and got some Revive. Used that while waiting for my Test kit to arrive and it cleared up teh pool somewhat. I can see the bottom now but it is still cloudy. I vacuumed to waste a lot but there is still some there but had to add some water. So there is some old water and some new in the pool.

It looks like you need some CYA, raise to around 30 to 40 to start with.

TA and PH are fine for the moment.

CC at 0.4 means you need to SLAM the pool, or perhaps continue SLAMing the pool if you have already started. Instructions on SLAMing are in the How To section of Pool School.

I am off today so I will finish up vacuuming to waste the rest of the **** on the bottom and start this process all over. This stuff that is making the pool cloudy is white and real fine. My filter would not even catch it. What is it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again, getting visible debris/cloudiness coming through the filter is almost invariably because of something wrong with either the filter or the multi-port valve.

Your cloudiness is very unlikely to be due to calcium, though I can't completely rule it out. If it is calcium related, lowering TA will clear it up. SLAMing would make any calcium related problems worse.

I am more concerned with your CC reading of 0.4. If you are using a FAS-DPD chlorine test, needing to use two drops when measuring CC indicates a problem. If that doesn't clear up very soon you should SLAM the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.