Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: sivymp1 - testing

1. Back To Top    #1

sivymp1 - testing

I started a new thread for your post. It is confusing to everyone when two posters are asking question within the same thread (Hi-jacking). Plus, posting your question in a new Thread is more likely to get responses. --duraleigh, TFP Moderator

I just got my Taylor T-2006 and was trying the CYA test for the first time. I did exactly as the instructions but the dot never disappeared. What do I do?
    28' Above Ground Pool, 20,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you test for CYA?

Probably just means you have very little CYA in the water. If there is CYA the mixture of pool water and CYA reagent will turn milky when you shake it... and so will gradually obscure the dot as you fill up the tube.

IIRC for the most accurate reading you should be standing with your back to direct sunlight, ie so sun is not shining directly on the tube as you're filling it.

Is the pool water fresh (ie you just filled it) or has it been in use for some months ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How do you test for CYA?

My pool water has been really cloudy like you cannot see a foot down. Went to the pool store (frustrated) and got some Revive. Used that while waiting for my Test kit to arrive and it cleared up teh pool somewhat. I can see the bottom now but it is still cloudy. I vacuumed to waste a lot but there is still some there but had to add some water. So there is some old water and some new in the pool.
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: sivymp1 - testing

Please post a complete set of test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Fc= 1
    cc=.4
    ph=7.4
    ta=130
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

6. Back To Top    #6

It looks like you need some CYA, raise to around 30 to 40 to start with.

TA and PH are fine for the moment.

CC at 0.4 means you need to SLAM the pool, or perhaps continue SLAMing the pool if you have already started. Instructions on SLAMing are in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I was going to SLAM the pool and started but did not have the kit yet. Dumped 8 Gal of Chlorine in and it did nothing about a week ago. I have a kit now so I can test it.
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

8. Back To Top    #8

The M in SLAM stands for Maintain. If you don't maintain the FC level you are essentially throwing away all the chlorine you added previously, the algae simply grows back.

9. Back To Top    #9

I am off today so I will finish up vacuuming to waste the rest of the **** on the bottom and start this process all over. This stuff that is making the pool cloudy is white and real fine. My filter would not even catch it. What is it?
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

10. Back To Top    #10

There are a couple of possibilities for fine white cloudiness. Calcium dust is the most likely possibility, but other blown in dusts can sometimes have the same effect.

11. Back To Top    #11

Is the calcium dust what is setteling on the bottom then and is there other ways of getting rid of it other than vacuuming to waste?
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Your filter should catch everything you can see. How do you know it is not catching it? Do you have a pic to help identify it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

When I was vacuuming it it was just blowing out the return, it was all cloudy. I was tired of losing all the water so I thought the filter would catch it. Nope so it just blew right back into the pool.
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

14. Back To Top    #14

That means either something is wrong with your filter, or you had the multi-port valve on circulate instead of filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

'Vacuum to waste' should bypass the filter completely, and should drain to your waste line, not return to the pool. Are you sure your valves are correctly set?
    21K gallon, plaster, 1hp Hayward MaxFlo pump, Hayward 244s sand filter, 3/4 hp Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner.

16. Back To Top    #16

When it was blowing back to the pool I was not vacuuming to waste. I thought the filter would catch it and that is when I saw it blowing through the return.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a cartridge filter not a sand filter also.
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

17. Back To Top    #17

You might have a torn cartridge, or possibly a bad seal inside the multi-port valve, that is letting dirt bypass the filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

Here are my readings as of last night. I think the cloudiness is caused by the calcium. Will Slamming the pool clear that up?
    FC=3.6
    CC=.4
    PH=7.2
    TA=150
    CYA=30
    CH=290
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa

19. Back To Top    #19

Again, getting visible debris/cloudiness coming through the filter is almost invariably because of something wrong with either the filter or the multi-port valve.

Your cloudiness is very unlikely to be due to calcium, though I can't completely rule it out. If it is calcium related, lowering TA will clear it up. SLAMing would make any calcium related problems worse.

I am more concerned with your CC reading of 0.4. If you are using a FAS-DPD chlorine test, needing to use two drops when measuring CC indicates a problem. If that doesn't clear up very soon you should SLAM the pool.

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok not sure which is my multi-port valve. I have two of them. One that comes from the skimmer and one that goes to the return. Filter is fine.
    Sand Filter"
    Model #AC16985
    Pool built in July 2012
    Clinton, Iowa