Cloudy water with SWG, no FC and very low CC

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
OK, I should know what to do about this, but thought I'd check due to the low FC and CC levels...
I've had my Intellichlor SWG for a couple months now, it runs 12 hrs/day with the pool pump. At 40% run time, it was edging up to 4.0+ FC (highest level recommended by the manufacturer), so I dropped to 20% for the last week or so.
The water got a little cloudy on us earlier this week (it has been hot here), so I shocked it last night with bleach, figuring on possible algae. I seem to be in range with my numbers (or at least close), with the exception of FC:
TA - 100
CYA - 40 (added some)
FC - 0.0
CC - .5 or less
pH - was 7.8, I added acid to lower

SO, does it seem like this is algae? I'm a little confused due to the 0.0 FC; I've had good levels until this week using the SWG.
thanks

You have algae. Zero FC and cloudy water is a sure sign.

You are going to need to shock the pool properly, maintaining shock level till the pool holds a FC level and there is no FC loss overnight. See this article from Pool School for details.

Your SWG will also work better if you raise the CYA level to around 70-80, though I would wait till the current algae issue is resolved before doing that.

Hey Jason (or anyone who knows SWG's),
My Intellichlor manual states that anything above 4.0 FC can damage the equipment, but if I shock, I have to go above 4.0 FC, right?
Also, would I drop the SWG down to 0% while shocking, to 'protect' the cell from damage?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.