I've been getting sent out quite a bit lately to acid wash salt cells only to find that they are being misdiagnosed. Usually it is a bad connection on one of the wires on the cell. I suspect that there have been a lot of salt cells that have been acid dipped over the years because of a bad diagnosis.
These frequent service calls got me thinking about how to tell that a salt cell needs to be acid washed, and when the cell's life is over and needs to be replaced.
My understanding is that they should only be acid washed if there is visible scale accumulating. Is this correct?
I have seen many situations where acid washing the cell will fix the problem even if there is no visible scale, but I suspect these were cases of bad wire connections. When the wires are removed to clean the cell, and put back on, the connections are fixed.
So what actually happens that causes a cell to die?