Pool in "holding pattern" Q-treat water while we wait?

May 30, 2014
Lancaster, OH
Hello all,

New to TFP forums and I have learned a lot. Wished I would have found this site prior to build.

My issue...the builder installed our fiberglass pool mid May 2014 and it is filled with our hard well water; backfilled and water line below the ports. It is now June 8th and we are still not close to being done. We are waiting for the block guys to get done with the retaining wall so the pool house can be built which will house all of the equipment. Hence everything is at a standstill.

Do I need to treat the water to cut down on any issues with algae since the water is stagnant?

Any other things I should be doing while we wait?

We are going with a SWG system if that matters. Side note- Mineral Pure pool system with an Ozone was suggested for pool, but after reading this site we chose SWG. Good Choice?

Planning on buying the Taylor K2006 test kit and plan on the BBB method.

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am looking forward to using this forum. Maybe I'll have the answers one day, lol.

Welcome. Good choice on ditching the ozone. I would highly suggest you not purchase the K2006 n go with the TF100 XL instead as you will get more reagents with the TF100. since you don't have the equipment installed, its kind of difficult to make chemical additions to the pool without circulation. A sump pump can help you through this if you want to go this route. You will not get the benefits of filtration though.

I'd go ahead and order your test kit and test your well water. Perhaps even testing for metals so you know what you're dealing with from the get-go.
I'd also recommend the TF-100 as it has more of the reagents (tests) you'll be needing so ultimately is a better value IMO. I'd also suggest getting the XL option for the chlorine tests.
Good call on the SWG. I can't tell you how easy it helps to make pool care!
As to whether you should bother with anything else at this point, I dunno. Its a hard call because you're not entirely filled yet, you don't yet have circulation right? And your PB might be responsible for start up although I'd not allow them to add anything willy-nilly without my approval.
Start reading Pool School while you wait. And don't forget we loveeeeeee pics! :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.