Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC Target level

1. Back To Top    #1

FC Target level

Ok, since my pool is in the bright sunshine 12hrs a day, I'm thinking I should probably adjust my "target" FC level.
    The goal range for my pool size with CYA @ 40 is 3-7ppm. I've been using a 5 for my target. I test and add my FC around 8pm, once the sun is pretty much off the pool, this way the pool can start the next day with the FC ready for combat while we're at work.
    But, usually when I test it around 8pm, the FC is around 2ppm...I'd prefer it to be higher.

Do yall think I should adjust my "target" FC level to 7 vs 5 to hopefully allow my FC level to be higher when I test it at 8pm?

I'd rather not raise my CYA above 40.
    Thanks,
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: FC Target level

The key is the MINIMUM. Target whatever is required to keep the FC above the Min at all times. You might should increase the CYA to 50ppm, not sure why you don't want to as it will likely reduce the amount of FC you have to add each day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If you target 5 and end at 2, target 6 and hopefully end at 3. Note that warm weather means more swimmers means more chlorine usage.

We could keep the chemistry perfect if people would just stop using the pool!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. The reason I didn't want to raise my CYA to 50 is because I'm trying to keep a little buffer incase I consider dropping a puck during a vacation time period since none would be around to add bleach daily...unless I could just raise the FC to shock level and covering the pool with pump off and have that suffice.

I just fear getting that CYA to high and then looking at water replacement.
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!