To Paint or Not To Paint, That is the Question

Jul 18, 2013
Northern Virginia
I am a general contractor so can manage all or most of this project myself. I have an empty, 40 year old, 25,000 gallon, concrete inground pool. We repainted it for the first time 6 years ago, but had a lot of chalkiness and blistering last year so I am starting over. The pool has been power-washed with a 4,000 psi pressure washer, acid-etched twice, and TSP cleaned twice, as well as having all the cracks and bubbles patched with Mastik. We are seriously considering adding a SWG. My questions:
1) Should I repaint the pool?
2) I have 10 year old, unopened, stored carefully, two part epoxy Ramuc paint, free and enough to cover the pool. Will this be okay to use if I paint?
3) Or should I not paint it all?
4) How will the SWG impact the choices?

Appreciative of your knowledgeable guidance.

Mike

The consensus on the forum is that paint is not a long-term pool finish and can only be relied on a few years. I personally would never use any product 10 years old but it might be fine.....how on earth would anyone know?

Have you priced plaster?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.