Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To Paint or Not To Paint, That is the Question

1. Back To Top    #1

To Paint or Not To Paint, That is the Question

I am a general contractor so can manage all or most of this project myself. I have an empty, 40 year old, 25,000 gallon, concrete inground pool. We repainted it for the first time 6 years ago, but had a lot of chalkiness and blistering last year so I am starting over. The pool has been power-washed with a 4,000 psi pressure washer, acid-etched twice, and TSP cleaned twice, as well as having all the cracks and bubbles patched with Mastik. We are seriously considering adding a SWG. My questions:
    1) Should I repaint the pool?
    2) I have 10 year old, unopened, stored carefully, two part epoxy Ramuc paint, free and enough to cover the pool. Will this be okay to use if I paint?
    3) Or should I not paint it all?
    4) How will the SWG impact the choices?

Appreciative of your knowledgeable guidance.

Mike
    Northern Virginia, 1960-ish Anthony & Sylvan inground, 25,000 gal, plaster with some peeling paint, Hayward S-244S High Rate Sand Filter, brand new Hayward mulit-flo pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: To Paint or Not To Paint, That is the Question

The consensus on the forum is that paint is not a long-term pool finish and can only be relied on a few years. I personally would never use any product 10 years old but it might be fine.....how on earth would anyone know?

Have you priced plaster?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School