Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Perfect and borates...OK...or trouble?

1. Back To Top    #1
    South-Central Pennsylvania

Spa Perfect and borates...OK...or trouble?

I have a hot tub with a CSWG. I add borates to the hot tub, just like I do for our swimming pool. I had some foaming issues. The fact that I keep CH at zero makes my hot tub very susceptible to foaming. Per TFP, I started using Spa Perfect. That helped a great deal.

Last weekend about 16 teenagers displaced about 1/3 of the water out of the hot tub. After refilling, I added borates.

It then occurred to me that perhaps borates and Spa Perfect might not go together. The Spa Perfect instructions say to add when FC is less than 3 ppm. I assume this is to prevent the FC from quickly oxidizing the Spa Perfect.

Do borates render Spa Perfect less effective?

I was not sure whether to post this question here or in the water chemistry forum.

Thanks for your help TFP!!!
    2013 HotSpring Grandee with Ace Sanitizing System
    25K IG vinyl pool with Alps spillover spa and waterfall. Build Date: June 2013
    Triton II TR100 Sand Filter, Pentair Master Temp 400 natural gas pool heater, Intellichlor SWG, Rainbow Chlorine Feeder
    Pentair VF filter pump, WhisperFlo 2 hp WFE-8 waterfall pump, WhisperFloFX 2 hp spillover spa pump
    Intellibrite 5G (2 pool and 1 in spa) lights :: TFT-100 test kit, Taylor K-1776 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Spa Perfect and borates...OK...or trouble?

Borates shouldn't have any effect on Spa Perfect.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Spa Perfect and borates...OK...or trouble?

Just to remind others as to why this user is keeping their CH so low, they have the ACE saltwater sanitizing system and it needs a very low CH due to the special boron-doped diamond electrodes it uses. Otherwise, for regular spas, keeping the CH at around 120-150 ppm is usually enough to prevent most foaming.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"