Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: **** Algae keeps coming back, I missed something...

1. Back To Top    #1

**** Algae keeps coming back, I missed something...

Hi guys - you all helped with me with the initial SLAM process a couple weeks back and it worked great. I passed the overnight, CC and eye-tests and thought I was good. I took apart the filter, gave it a good cleaning and got the flow I needed. But I can't seem to maintain the FC level and the algae keeps creeping back.

I'm going to SLAM again this week, not as bad as last time so it'll prob just take a couple days. I think I lost track of the importance of CYA, because I'm losing my FC level and can't keep up. I saw in POOL SCHOOL that the liquid is more expensive than the solid, but I want to make sure I understand the process right. First I SLAM, then I get my CYA up to 30-50, and I should be good in terms of protecting my FC levels, right?

I'll post my full test results in a little 'bit, but I wanted to get the thread going to make sure there isn't anything else I'm missing. I'm good on the SLAM process, more interested now on what to do after to maintain the levels I need to fight off our mutual enemy - that dreaded algae. Thanks for all the help!
    Pool info: 13K gal, IG plaster, DE filter (Hayward DE6020, 60sqft, 150GPM; based on on-line specs), Hayward Super II Pump, attached IG spa, no auto vacuum.
    Location: Yorba Linda, CA. Avg temp is 75 degrees, hot as heck between May and September (90+).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: **** Algae keeps coming back, I missed something...

Please post a full set of water test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by allenzak View Post
    I'm good on the SLAM process, more interested now on what to do after to maintain the levels I need to fight off our mutual enemy - that dreaded algae. Thanks for all the help!
    Preventing algae is pretty simple: maintain adequate chlorine levels for your CYA and ensure circulation. If there are dead spots in the circulation, brushing will eliminate them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just did a test and I'm off across the board.

FC - zero
    CC - zero
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 96PPM
    CH - 450PPM
    CYA - less than 30

Last time I SLAMMED I had a higher CYA, doesn't look I'll need as much bleach this time. And I'll need to backwash significantly to take care of the Calcium Hardness. But when all the SLAMMING is done, I'll need to get the CYA right... any suggestions on the liquid vs. solid stabilizer/conditioner?

Once I pass my SLAM test, in terms of steps to get to where the chemistry needs to be... is balance pH first, then CYA, then FC? or some other order? I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. Thanks.
    Pool info: 13K gal, IG plaster, DE filter (Hayward DE6020, 60sqft, 150GPM; based on on-line specs), Hayward Super II Pump, attached IG spa, no auto vacuum.
    Location: Yorba Linda, CA. Avg temp is 75 degrees, hot as heck between May and September (90+).

5. Back To Top    #5

Raise the CYA level first to somewhere between 30 and 50.

Don't worry too much about CH. Your level is a little high, but not a serious problem right at the moment.

There are instructions on how to SLAM your pool in the How To section of Pool School.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like all my readings are good except for TA. Just recorded this morning:

FC - 7
    CC - zero
    pH - 7.6
    TA - 220PPM
    CH - 410PPM
    CYA - 35

Should I work to reduce my TA? Pool math says to bring my pH down to 7.0-7.2 with acid then aerate to increase pH. What does "aerate" mean? Is my TA high enough to warrant going through those steps? CH doesn't seem to be a huge concern right now (plus my city is known for hard water so I don't know how low I can get it) so I feel like I'm almost to all the recommended levels... just need to confirm the TA. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Just focus on keeping the pH in the 7s and the TA will take care of itself.

How does the water look? Are you going to SLAM or not?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. Water looks good. Done SLAMming. Started on Tuesday and just passed all my tests this morning. Now that everything is in line, I'll get back to standard filter operation (4-5 hrs/day). Water looks clear, OCLT is good, etc.

I think last time I just lost track of my CYA which caused all my FC to burn up. Now I'm on top of it and everything looks to be in-line. I'm going to test every day this week just to make sure, but as long as TA takes care of itself I should be good. Loving TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

You are going to loose FC every day, no matter what. FC level is not something you work to get to the first time, and then forget it.

You have to continually test for and add chlorine maybe daily, maybe every 2 days, but you have to continaully add it. Thats what everyone means by "maintain".
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it, makes sense. It seems like the tablets, while convenient, have their drawbacks and liquid bleach is the way to go. I'm curious how much I'll go through. I'm going to start tracking it. Thanks again.

11. Back To Top    #11

generally the FC loss is about 2 ppm per day. A lot depends on in you have any shade on the pool, how much stuff blows into it, how long the direct sun shines on it, etc...
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!