Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fixed the leak, where to sart.

1. Back To Top    #1

Fixed the leak, where to sart.

I've had a leak in my pool since I opened it on May 17. I was losing about 600gal/day so I wasn't looking for perfection in my numbers. I've been using 99%trichlor tabs since I have about 10 lbs of them left and my CYA was being diluted with the make-up water.

I've found and patched the leak so it's time to get this thing perfect. Here are my numbers:

FC: 6.5
    CC: <0.5
    TA: 40
    CH: <25
    CYA: 20-25
    Ph: <6.5
    Temp: 78

I intend to continue using the trichlor tabs until my CYA comes up into range. How long should this take?

I don't fully understand the difference between washing soda and baking soda for TA and the affect that they have on Ph. Should I use one over the other since both my Ph and TA are low?

My local ACE Hardware has:
    20MT Borax, 4lb for $5.99
    A&H Super Washing Soda, 55oz for $4.49
    A&H Baking Soda, 4lb for $3.99
    HTH 10% Liquid Chlorinator, 1g for $3.99

Are these prices fair?
    East Atlanta OTP
    20,000? gal IG, 18x36 3'-6'-4' sport bottom,
    Originally built in 1992, 11 year old vinyl liner,
    1Hp Pentair 1speed w/ Nautilus FNS 48 DE
    Polaris 380 (named Larry), Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fixed the leak, where to sart.

"Borax doesn't raise the TA as much, which is sometimes valuable. However, if you are dealing with trichlor tablets, washing soda is better as it comes closer to balancing out the PH/TA effects of trichlor tablet."

That was posted by Jason yesterday to answer your question. Prices look good.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The other question, since I didn't ask it correctly, is how much CYA is actually in a trichlor tab? How many tabs would it take to raise the CYA by 15 points in a 20k pool?
    East Atlanta OTP

4. Back To Top    #4

Washing soda raises PH a lot and TA a little. Baking soda raises TA a lot and PH a little. Borax raises PH a lot and TA just a tiny amount.

In your case I recommend raising the PH with either washing soda or borax, and then retesting and adjusting the TA once the PH is at least 7.2.

As a general rule, washing soda comes closest to compensating for trichlor usage, but the difference isn't all that large.

In 20,000 gallons each trichlor tablet raises CYA by roughly 1.5. You can use the Effects of adding chemicals section in Pool Math to answer this kind of question.

The prices you quoted are alright. I've seen better, but those are not unreasonable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

So the plan to minimize the cost/chemical usage is:

I'll toss in a box and a half of washing soda and go from there on TA.

I will use ~10 more trichlor tabs (~5-weeks) and switch to chlorinating liquid.

Leave my TA and Ph little on the low side to accommodate the use of the washing soda that I'll use when compensating for the trichlor.

This sounds good?
    East Atlanta OTP