Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Filter drains out when pump is turned off

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy DE Filter drains out when pump is turned off

I have a Hayward DE6020 filter that you can hear drain out when I turn the pump off. It will leak DE into the pool via the main drain. I also get heavy air bubbles from the returns when pump is on. I just changed the filter control valve {it needed to be changed} hoping it would correct this draining problem but it didn't.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Filter drains out when pump is turned off

Welcome to TFP!

That means there is a leak somewhere on the pressure side plumbing. In many cases you can find it by looking for a small drip or spray of water when the pump is running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pipe that comes out of the pump was leaking this am. I put teflon tape on it. It held for about 15 minutes. Can I use any kind of sealant or pipe dope on the connection? Or should I change out the fitting completely?

5. Back To Top    #5

The pipe that runs from the pump outlet side to the filter?
    You probably want to replace that leaking fitting. That leak will only get worse.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, will do.
    14,400 gal vinyl, IG, super II pump , 2 hp, Hayward DE6020 filter, Jandy Pro Series LXI Propane heater, Spill Over Spa, X-Stream Slide

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

When you replace the leaking fitting get some Goop. Put your teflon tape on the fitting and then smear on some of the goop and then screw it back on. I'd let it set overnight and then turn it back on. I do it this way and it works great.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the advice. Will get new fitting tomorrow. Already have "goop".
    14,400 gal vinyl, IG, super II pump , 2 hp, Hayward DE6020 filter, Jandy Pro Series LXI Propane heater, Spill Over Spa, X-Stream Slide