How much chlorine do you put in daily?

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
For non-SWG folks, how much liquid chlorine do you usually put in each day?

I'm on week 2 of BBB, and it seems my 12k gallon pool with CYA ~ 45 needs a quart a day, maybe a little splash more. I live in sunny Houston, it's 90 degrees+ already, and my pool has no shade at all. Quart a day adds about 2-2.5 ppm, so that sounds about right?

Congratulations!
My pool is brand new also - first swim was May 13th!

My CYA is about 30 ppm. I am putting in about a quart myself (11,500gal). I'm in Tucson where it has been exceptionally hot and sunny (over 105 without a cloud in the sky). When the kids are playing a lot, I will throw in 6 cups. I've been using a solar cover to raise the temperature of the pool to 88-90degF.

I keep my CL around 5.5 ppm and my pool uses just over 1 ppm per day with a CYA of around +/- 40

I put in a quart container of 8.25% bleach each morning.

Depending on usage /rain / etc somtimes I have to add an extra half quart or so to keep the levels up.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
our pool was consuming 3 ppm per day at 35 ppm CYA, which was a whooping 90 oz of 8.25 % per day. I posted about increasing CYA to lower FC usage. Now at 50 ppm CYA, its consuming only 2 ppm (60 oz). Someone asked me on here when I posted, "Whats 1 ppm?"

well, in this pool its 30 oz of bleach! :p

by getting it down to 2 ppm per day, its taking 1/2 a bottle of bleach per day instead of 3/4 a bottle, which puts me at about 15 bottles per month vs 22 bottles.

so that 1 ppm is quite a bit, actually. :cool:

im sure on some days im still gonna spike to 3 when we are swimming a lot. But I want to keep it at about 2 ppm per day when we are not swimming or light swimming.

I am in Spring, TX and my pool has no shade. I lose on a typical day 1.5. Sometimes depending on weather or swimmers 2-3. When I start losing more than 2 PPM per day that is a sign that my pH level may be high as well.

CYA is at 50 as well.

I typically add 24-40 ounces of 8.25% bleach.

Looks like either rain lately or extra kid usage is increasing my usage. May have to do some attempts to lower daily loss.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i guarantee you wont regret bumping it up to 50 ppm. that will surely lower your loss to sun and the initial dose to get 'er going isnt much above what you need for 35 ppm. it cut my bleach usage by 1/3 rd.

60 CYA in Phoenix, AZ; or as we prefer to call it 'The Sun's Anvil'. no shade, daytime hits 110, pool up to 90 already - 3ppm / day for me. which translates basically to a half gallon a day. since it's either a full bottle going to somewhere randomly close to half, or an open bottle going empty; measuring is not even remotely important to me. I keep a separate weekend bottle handy if I need a little boost on weekends when I do a more comprehensive set of tests.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.