Going to SLAM next week....a couple questions

Jan 2, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Convinced I've got mustard algae that shows on walls of pool after a day or two of not brushing. Although, when I've done the overnight chlorine loss test, I was consistently under a 1.0 loss. Water is clear.....just a pain getting the yellow off the walls.

My CYA is 55, which will put my mustard shock level at 22.

1. Is there any issues with swimming in pool while at 22? I need to get in there to really get a good brushing on my 9' deep end, as well as removing lights and brushing around casings.

2. The inside of my skimmers are brown with residue. Does come off, but very hard to get a good brushing in there. Good chance this is algae? Any recommendations on scrubbing them real good other than elbow grease?

3. Is there a way to use my TFT kit to test the chlorine without using so much chemicals? Use 5ml instead of 10 or something? Dilute it?

Thanks!

1) Yes, and no. We don't recommend swimming at regular shock level or above. However, the actual effects are fairly minor and might not bother you. Worst case, hair and swim suits can be damaged (slowly) by very high FC levels. In practice, you probably won't notice it unless you spend a great deal of time in the water.

2) Yeah, elbow grease.

3) A 5 ml sample with the FAS-DPD test does give 1.0 ppm for each drop. The precision goes down when you do this, but it is good enough for measuring mustard algae shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.